SMART Error on 2 week old disk

Go to solution Solved by dboonthego,

Hey All,

Unraid's just flagged up that Disk 1 (which is only 2 weeks old) has a SEEK_ERROR_RATE issue with the status FAILING NOW.

image.thumb.png.5825f2032f5f7849201d01b6884de177.png

What does this mean? And what should I do with the Data on that disc?

I have Disk 2 which is empty. DO I need to manually copy data from D1 to D2? I was under the impression that I could just remove D1 and replace with a new drive, and the data would be recovered from Parity?

Logs attached.

Thanks!

alfred-smart-20231021-2102.zip

38 minutes ago, siron1992 said:

What does this mean?

A seek error happens when heads are unable to locate the data.  Could be mechanical or misalignment, but being the drive is new, I would warranty replace it.

39 minutes ago, siron1992 said:

DO I need to manually copy data from D1 to D2?

No, a disk rebuild to a new disk will work.  An advantage of also copying data is redundancy incase something goes wrong during rebuild.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dboonthego said:

A seek error happens when heads are unable to locate the data.  Could be mechanical or misalignment, but being the drive is new, I would warranty replace it.

No, a disk rebuild to a new disk will work.  An advantage of also copying data is redundancy incase something goes wrong during rebuild.

Thanks for the advice - last Parity Check was 10 days ago, should I rerun the check before removing the drive?

image.png.4bfb25c8ff62d016e91b75c9abab4ae7.png

In terms of moving the data for redundancy, is it just a case of manuall moving everything from /mnt/disk1 to /mnt/disk2 or am I missing something here?

• Solution
1 hour ago, siron1992 said:

should I rerun the check before removing the drive?

I wouldn't.  Just replace and rebuild the disk.

If you choose to also copy, toss it in a subfolder on disk2 that way when you rebuild disk1, you won't have duplicate files in the same path across multiple disks.

This will do it.

rsync -avhPX /mnt/disk1/ /mnt/disk2/disk1copy/

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, dboonthego said:

I wouldn't.  Just replace and rebuild the disk.

If you choose to also copy, toss it in a subfolder on disk2 that way when you rebuild disk1, you won't have duplicate files in the same path across multiple disks.

This will do it.

rsync -avhPX /mnt/disk1/ /mnt/disk2/disk1copy/

You sir are a legend.

You've answered my inital question, but just for clarity around Parity - I assume it continually writes to parity and the 'Parity Check' is just a fail safe to ensure Parity is accurate? Is that correct just so I understand how Parity works?

• 2 weeks later...

This has become an issue again. Im now on my THIRD drive! All drives fail in Disk 1.

Drive 1 - Seek Error Rate of less than 30. RMA'd and replaced with new device.

Drive 2 - Seek Error Rate of less than 40. RMA's again and replaced with another new device.

Drive 3 - Been in overnight and Seek Error currently at 92 and dropping, even with no data being used/pulled from the Array.

I'm losing my marbles! @JorgeB I heard you run lots of Toshibas. Any thoughts?

I just cant understand why its always Disk 1 thats failing and not my Parity or Disk 2.