Parity On Backup Unraid Server

CodeEngie

Obviously, you must have a 3-2-1 backup plan for all of the data on the backup server.  😝

I don't run a parity drive on my backup server.  While it is nice to have a way to rebuild a lost drive from parity, there is a real cost of implementing parity as well:

• Write speed is much slower with parity.
  • Extra drive could be used for additional data storage. 
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TimTheSettler said:

I'm guessing that most of you have had the good fortune to never need to restore

This discussion is about backup servers. Unless you're restoring backups of your backups to your backup server, I'm not sure what case you're trying to make.

Edited by Michael_P
  • Like 1
On 11/19/2023 at 6:46 AM, Michael_P said:

This discussion is about backup servers. Unless you're restoring backups of your backups to your backup server, I'm not sure what case you're trying to make.

If a drive on your backup server dies then you need to restore the contents of that drive.  If it's a single drive then that's easy to do but if you have multiple drives in an array and the data is spread across the drives and then one drive fails then will you know what you've lost?  In this case you will need to back up all that data.  In my case that's a lot of data so I'd rather not waste time backing up 30TB of data.  Instead, I buy a new drive and let unRAID restore one 10TB drive in less than a day.

One last point is that my backup server uses snapshots so losing that server would suck.  I could restore the data from the source but I would lose the history.

I guess it just depends on how the backup server is set up.  My post above and here is simply meant as another perspective.

6 hours ago, TimTheSettler said:

will you know what you've lost?

Not to beat a dead horse, and I'm a firm believer of You Do You™️ , but the backup script/program will know and back up what's missing (snapshots aside) and back it up again - no need for a full backup. As I've said above, if you have the spares to have redundancy on your backup server, then you might as well use it.

19 hours ago, TimTheSettler said:

If it's a single drive then that's easy to do but if you have multiple drives in an array and the data is spread across the drives and then one drive fails then will you know what you've lost?

That is why I use rsync to back up.  It will do a quick inventory of what is the same, and what is missing.  Then only transfer that which is missing.  The backup server can eat data at 1Gb speed on a 2.5Gbe network (plenty of head room for everything else), the drives write at around 200MB/s with no parity to deal with.  My guess is that the data would be fully restored by copying it over faster than rebuilding the drive.