2 unclean shutdowns due to power outages while doing monthly parity check - now disk 2 disabled - (Solved)

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I am not sure what the actual error is with drive 2.. i have a UPS installed but it doesn't shut down the drives which are in a separate caddy.. Just the main box with unraid and then the ups eventually runs out of batteries and the caddies turn off.   I am attaching my diagnostics.  Of course this is happening when i am out of town (for another 4 days).  I didn't notice anything about the drive being disabled when i remotely restarted the parity check after i had a friend reboot the server for me. The parity check was 25 percent through with a disk emulated and i shut it down.. what should i do next? I have identical spare 8tb drives i could replace the failed with.. I just ordered 5 18tb drives to shuck and replace the 8tb drives at some point but my 2 parity drives are 14tb.

Should i just shut it all down and wait 4 days until i get home then rebuild the 8 with an old 8tb?

1st question - should unraid shutdown just the same during a parity check when ups tells it to via usb cable? it normally does just fine when not in parity check.

2nd question is what went wrong on 8tb (drive 2)

3rd- should i assume it is bad and just pull it and rebuilt to one of the several 8tb i have already pulled and upgraded to 14tb?

4th - how to introduce the 18tb drives into the array. but i think i am getting ahead of myself on that.

tower-diagnostics-20231122-1658.zip

UPDATE: Thanks Frank1940 and JorgeB,  i rebuilt it on itself and its back up and running.. I would have gone with more conservative methods but only home for 4 days this month.  Will introduce 18tb drives at a later date..

Edited by FrozenGamer
updates
10 hours ago, FrozenGamer said:

3rd- should i assume it is bad and just pull it and rebuilt to one of the several 8tb i have already pulled and upgraded to 14tb?

This has been my approach to this problem.  Whenever a drive is disable, I insert a 'spare' drive that has been precleared.  (Previously precleared to verify that it is actually good...)  I then preclear that 'bad' drive to determine its condition.  (It has been years since I actually found a failed drive!) 

11 hours ago, FrozenGamer said:

4th - how to introduce the 18tb drives into the array. but i think i am getting ahead of myself on that.

I am in the process doing exactly what you will be doing.  I plan on replacing the parity drives in my Media server--- one at a time with an interval (say a week or more) between the replacement.  Note that both parity drives do not have to be the same size BUT both parity must be equal to or larger than the largest data drive. 

You have an situation where you will probably want to use those two old parity drives as data drives. (Since your data drives are mostly 8TB ones.)  While you could  use the parity swap procedure, I would wait until I was sure that the new parity drives are burned-in before I put them into the array.   (I am just paranoid enough that I try to avoid the potential for any dual failure scenarios.)

• FrozenGamer changed the title to 2 unclean shutdowns due to power outages while doing monthly parity check - now disk 2 disabled - (Solved)