Device is disabled, contents emulated

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hello, would like to ask for assistance with this issue I have. this is my first encountering this issue and to avoid any mistake on my part I hope somebody can please direct me on what should I do next. Do I need to turn off my server now and replace the hard disk immediately with a new one? will it rebuild by itself?

Attaching syslog files, hope this proves useful 

Regards,syslog-192.168.10.82.log

tower-diagnostics-20231130-2057.zip

Edited by youngvader
  • Solution

Is disk6 (serial number     WSD7RWRQ  ) the disk that is missing?    It looks good from the SMART report.  (But it does have some CRC errors but that is not normally a disk problem but a SATA cable or connection problem. So check all SATA cables to be sure they are firmly seated!) 

35 minutes ago, youngvader said:

Do I need to turn off my server now and replace the hard disk immediately with a new one? will it rebuild by itself?

Do you have a replacement disk on hand?  If you do, that is what I, personally, would do.   If you don't have a cold spare rebuilt on the current disk.   (That way most of the contents of the disk removed are valid.)   Be sure to double-check that all drive connectors are seated firmly before you power the server back up!   (You have several disks with CRC errors and loose connectors will cause that problem.  (As will 'bad' cables.)

No, it will not rebuild by its self!  You have to follow these steps:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

If you replace the disk rather than rebuild, I would run a preclear cycle on that removed disk to make sure there is not a problem with it.  If it checks out OK (which I suspect it will), keep as a cold spare.

6 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Is disk6 (serial number     WSD7RWRQ  ) the disk that is missing?    It looks good from the SMART report.  (But it does have some CRC errors but that is not normally a disk problem but a SATA cable or connection problem. So check all SATA cables to be sure they are firmly seated!) 

Yes you are correct, is it disk 6 that is missing. I will check all SATA cables. 

7 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

o you have a replacement disk on hand?  If you do, that is what I, personally, would do.   If you don't have a cold spare rebuilt on the current disk.   (That way most of the contents of the disk removed are valid.)   Be sure to double-check that all drive connectors are seated firmly before you power the server back up!   (You have several disks with CRC errors and loose connectors will cause that problem.  (As will 'bad' cables.)

I may have a replacement disk but will require me some moving around because it's a bigger capacity disk.  So I will need to transfer my 8TB to a 14TB then use 8TB as the replacement disk. Will I need to manually copy the contents of disk 6 to an external HD first prior to rebuild to ensure that the files won't get lost? 

11 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

No, it will not rebuild by its self!  You have to follow these steps:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

Thank you for the instruction.

A few other questions. Is it ideal for me to still use my server while I sort out these issues? also the link you shared above is the steps to rebuild if I will use the same disk, but what if I will use a replacement disk?

To replace a failed disk or disks:

Stop the array.

Power down the unit.

Replace the failed disk(s) with a new one(s).

Power up the unit.

Assign the replacement disk(s) using the Unraid webGui <-- Do I assign the replacement disk on the same disk # as the failed disk? 

Many thanks for your assistance

Here are the instructions for rebuilding a new disk:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#normal-replacement

Yes, you assign the replacement disk using its serial number to the same disk# as the one you removed--- the disabled disk.   You will probably use the same physical slot inside of the case but that it not necessary.   The disk# is a logical construct that Unraid uses internally to link a physical disk to a logical disk so you must do the actual assignment of the physical device to that construct.  (Hope that is clear to you as it is bit abstract...)

15 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Yes, you assign the replacement disk using its serial number to the same disk# as the one you removed--- the disabled disk.   You will probably use the same physical slot inside of the case but that it not necessary.   The disk# is a logical construct that Unraid uses internally to link a physical disk to a logical disk so you must do the actual assignment of the physical device to that construct.  (Hope that is clear to you as it is bit abstract...)

Thank you very much. I will give it a go after I have a replacement disk available. 

On 11/30/2023 at 10:13 PM, Frank1940 said:

Hello again, I have started the rebuild process using a new disk but the speed is extremely slow. it's less than 1MB/sec and it will take 2-3 months to finish. Should I stop this and try again?

On 12/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, itimpi said:

Your diagnostics show you are getting continual resets on the drive connected as 'ata2'.  I could not see which drive that was but hopefully you can find out from the Unraid GUI.    Fixing this will probably solve your speed issue.   It is quite likely to be just a cabling issue (power or sata) rather than a problem with the drive itself.

Thank you for this