Cache Storage

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hey,

I am a newbie on Unraid and messed up setting up the cache in first place. Right now my main share folder is split between cache and array and mover does nothing when I try to reverse things back to normal.

While I put by bulk data share on array now, I cannot empty the space on cache. Here are screenshots of the setup I have. "biotow" is my shared folder. 

image.thumb.png.c52da5ea0c791e1eac97274511bf8ddb.png

image.thumb.png.a161bc2395541211651eef656d37f8c9.png

How can I move those files back to cache? Then I will set appdata, domains and isos back to cache.

Thanks!

• Solution

None of your shares are set to be moved. And your cache is probably too small for anything except appdata, domains, system, (and isos if you want those on cache)

First thing is to move the other share b----w off cache. Mover won't move any share without a setting for Secondary storage. Set that share to Primary: cache, Secondary: array, Mover action: cache->array.

Run mover, wait for it to complete, post new diagnostics then we can try to see if your "default" shares will fit on cache.

1 hour ago, radiohightech said:

terminal "mv" command

Be careful working at the command line until you are sure you understand how user shares are represented at that level and how user share paths might interact with disk paths, it is possible to lose data. Better to install and use Dynamix File Manager plugin if you want to work with files directly on the server, since it avoids these issues.

You can see how much of each disk is used by each user share by clicking Compute... for the share on the User Shares page.

Ideally, appdata, domains, system will be completely on fast SSD storage (cache) and set to stay there so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower parity array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

And if your cache is very small, other shares maybe shouldn't be on cache and instead should be set to go directly to the array.

Post new diagnostics if you want me to take another look.

@trurl I just got home from work and found my Libvirt service dead after this. Everything else seems to be working and no actual data loss from the "b--w" share is seen. It seems like VM is refusing to create .img file for VMs. Here is the diagnostics:

biotower-diagnostics-20231207-1727.zip

And weirdly Jellyfin refuses to work in port 8096 but 8097 works fine.

Thanks!

Edited by radiohightech
Addition

Not the direct cause of your problems, but your appdata and system shares have files on the array.

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Ideally, appdata, domains, system will be completely on fast SSD storage (cache) and set to stay there so Docker/VM performance isn't impacted by slower parity array, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

1 hour ago, radiohightech said:

Libvirt service dead

Did you actually have any VMs yet?

Nothing can move open files. Disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings until things are where they need to be.

I recommend removing mover tuning plugin until things are working well. Since your cache is so small you may not need to move anything after things are where they need to be anyway.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Nothing can move open files. Disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings until things are where they need to be.

I recommend removing mover tuning plugin until things are working well. Since your cache is so small you may not need to move anything after things are where they need to be anyway.

I have turned uninstalled mover tuning, and set my system folder to be primary on cache, changing the mover action accordingly. As of know, the following error has disappeared. Mover seems to be working since I can see my folders' location being updated as "cache_ssd" rather than both. I need for mover to finish working it seems.

Thanks for your answers. 

image.thumb.png.2c94ec0beaaed2e398d5d12a42f103a0.png