Installing extensions on postgreSQL docker container

Go to solution Solved by captainfeeny,

Hi all,

I currently have an Immich container, which uses a separate PostgreSQL database in the backend.

Due to a recent update, the server does not boot up because it tries to use the vectors extension in PostgreSQL, which is not installed.

When looking up how to install extensions, the results mostly say I should console into the docker, clone the git repo and install it, but I have some questions whether this is the clean way of doing it.

I always thought that everything done in the docker console command line is a sandboxed environment installed from the docker image, so if I update my docker container in the future, will it also remove the extension I installed with the command line?

I guess the extensions also need to be updated, so if I install it via the container console, I would probably have to manually update it as well?

Is there a way to embed this in the container config so that it will install and update the extension at startup of the container?

This is the step plan I found:

console in the PostgreSQL container and install tools needed to install the extension:

apk add --no-cache git build-base clang llvm15-dev llvm15

clone the git repo of the extension in a temp folder

cd /tmp
git clone --branch v0.5.1 https://github.com/pgvector/pgvector.git
cd pgvector

compile and install the extension

make
make install

after this, the extension should be installed and ready to use in Immich, as that container installs the extension on the database itself on startup

is this correct?

• Upvote 2

changing to tensorchord/pgvecto-rs:pg15-v0.1.11 fixed my first time install issues also.

After I uploaded some pictures it stops and now my postgres log shows this:

2023-12-25 03:46:59.273 CST [925] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": No such file or directory
2023-12-25 03:47:03.827 CST [66] LOG:  checkpoint starting: time
2023-12-25 03:47:03.944 CST [66] PANIC:  could not open file "pg_commit_ts": No such file or directory
2023-12-25 03:47:03.950 CST [1] LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 66) was terminated by signal 6: Aborted
2023-12-25 03:47:03.950 CST [1] LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
2023-12-25 03:47:03.956 CST [1] LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
2023-12-25 03:47:03.978 CST [1] PANIC:  could not open file "global/pg_control": No such file or directory

** Press ANY KEY to close this window ** 

On 12/28/2023 at 3:41 PM, Carbur8tr said:

Just more data, I've tested on 15 with a few of the suggested solutions and I am still finding that 14 is the only solution to which is stable.

I'm either missing pictures or indexing fails in some form or fashion on 15.

hmmm, started from 15, and switching to the  tensorchord/pgvecto-rs:pg15-v0.1.11 seems to have worked seamlessly for me actually, at least no errors in indexing, and the image counts in the stats seem to be the same as before the switch...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 8:01 PM, DrMac said:

changing to tensorchord/pgvecto-rs:pg15-v0.1.11 fixed my first time install issues also.

After I uploaded some pictures it stops and now my postgres log shows this:

2023-12-25 03:46:59.273 CST [925] FATAL:  could not open file "global/pg_filenode.map": No such file or directory
2023-12-25 03:47:03.944 CST [66] PANIC:  could not open file "pg_commit_ts": No such file or directory

I'm getting the same error from postgres14 trying 15 now.

I manage to import my complete library 1.3TB with transcoding to 1080P HEVC with Nvidia on videos. And it works afterwards, but fist nightrun and postgres panics and shuts down and I do not get it to start up again. I get the same messages.

Think I might have figured this one out with a little help om the Immich discussions.

The postgres template uses a path that is:
/mnt/cache/appdata/postgresql14

Whenever the mover runs, it moves the files to:
/mnt/user/appdata/postgresql14

After the mover does it's thing, the file is missing 🤪

So the path on my docker should not be on the cache drive...

I switched and testing, but pretty confident this is the solution 😁

Here is the discussion:

https://github.com/immich-app/immich/discussions/6680

Edited by Cirion
Added link
  • 1 month later...