Random reboots. Already changed USBs.

garntom

About two weeks ago I noticed random reboots about once a day or every other day. A few days ago it stopped rebooting and I was getting the errors you see in the attached picture. The errors seemed to follow the port my usb was connected to. I reformatted my usb and rebuilt with a backup. The random reboots continued but I no longer got the boot errors(in the pic). 

Yesterday I got a new san disk ultra usb. The cruzer glides seem to be preferred but Best Buy was out of those. Today the system had yet another random reboot. 

The only change to my system recently was running power top auto tune. The backup on my usb currently was prior to using auto tune so I don’t think that is related. 

If there are no glaring issues in my logs I plan to do a cmos reset and run mem86+ overnight. 

any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

unraid version: 6.12.6

IMG_2129.jpeg

tower-diagnostics-20231218-1734.zip

Memtest did not uncover any issues. This issue is rather annoying so I’m going for a shotgun approach rather than a methodical change one thing at a time. Next up bios and a new psu. 

to do:

-update bios

-buy a new psu (it’s ten years old so might as well)

Completed:

-enabled syslog server

-reseated ram, lsi card, and everything else. 
-reset cmos

-ran memtest (passed with no errors)

9 hours ago, garntom said:

My psu is 10 years old so I’ll replace it

If (or when) you do this, be sure to look for one with a single +12V rail.  In a normal PC, the +12V power is required for 3.5" HD's and GPU cards.  In many cases, the GPU requires far more +12V current than the HD's.  With servers, there opposite situation generally exists, there may be no GPU but the power needed by the multiple HD's is very significant.  If you are going to require power spliters, Look for Molex sockets and not more than four drives per splitter. (Splitters are not ideal in any case but most of us end up having to use them.)   Try to avoid use a splitter on a SATA power plug and , if you are forced into that situation, no more than two drives per splitter.

Edited by Frank1940
2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

If (or when) you do this, be sure to look for one with a single +12V rail.  In a normal PC, the +12V power is required for 3.5" HD's and GPU cards.  In many cases, the GPU requires far more +12V current than the HD's.  With servers, there opposite situation generally exists, there may be no GPU but the power needed by the multiple HD's is very significant.  If you are going to require power spliters, Look for Molex sockets and not more than four drives per splitter. (Splitters are not ideal in any case but most of us end up having to use them.)   Try to avoid use a splitter on a SATA power plug and , if you are forced into that situation, no more than two drives per splitter.

I ordered a season’s focus gm 550w. I believe it checks those boxes right?