Best way to replace a disk and migrate data from another

So currently I have the setup in the image below:

Screenshot-2023-12-28-182249.png

Disks 2 & 3 are part of a share, and the share is currently set to high-water. I will be replacing disk 2 with another 20TB disk. What is the best way to handle this? The idea is I want to migrate data from disks 2 & 3 onto a single 20TB disk.

My first guess was to just remove disk #2, replace it with the new 20TB. Let UNRAID rebuild disk 2 from parity, then once finished, move the data from disk 3 to disk 2 (which would update parity as it moves data)

Is that the best method for doing this?

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2023 at 4:26 PM, Christopher Deal said:

So currently I have the setup in the image below:

Screenshot-2023-12-28-182249.png

Disks 2 & 3 are part of a share, and the share is currently set to high-water. I will be replacing disk 2 with another 20TB disk. What is the best way to handle this? The idea is I want to migrate data from disks 2 & 3 onto a single 20TB disk.

My first guess was to just remove disk #2, replace it with the new 20TB. Let UNRAID rebuild disk 2 from parity, then once finished, move the data from disk 3 to disk 2 (which would update parity as it moves data)

Is that the best method for doing this?

What did you end up doing? I have a very similar array and am trying to find the best way to replace two old 3tb disks.

I ended up replacing all the disks with 20TB. The best bet is just let the parity rebuild do its thing. Time consuming yes, but a lot less work.

Otherwise, if you're just replacing one of the drives in the end, just pull one drive and do a parity rebuild, and then manually move the files from the 2nd disk onto the first.

Yeah I've removed and replaced drives a few times.

If you have enough open sata ports or drive connection ports. I would just add the new 20TB to the array and use either plug-in balance to move the files from the 8TB drive to the new 20TB. or add Krusader Docker and move the files manually. Balance Plug in most likely a littler safer but might take as long as swapping one of the 8TB drive out and letting parity rebuild on the 20TB. Christopher in his above post is most likely the easiest. only reason I might not like that way is you end up doing 2 parity checks 1 is rebuilding. then the next one after you redo the array and move the files manually.  20TB parity takes you almost 1.2 days right? my 12TB is 19 hours without my HBA. with my HBA I can get it in 17hours.