Array down following reboot - Too many wrong and/or missing disks!

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Array has recently had new (re-used) disks installed, these had been built into the array and working for at least a couple of weeks. I do think this was the first reboot since then however.

In any case, rebooted the device and array won't start with error 'Too many wrong and/or missing disks!'. 2 disks are showing as wrong, however one of the 'new' discs replaced the parity device as it was larger, and that is showing green, so I don't THINK its just the new discs. showing as down

From what I've read, it looks like the best option is to create a new config, but I'm not clear on if that will impact existing data or not? Are there any other options I should be looking at?

unraid-diagnostics-20240104-2108.zip

I did reassign the old parity disk as a data disk, although I couldn't say for sure which slot it ended up in - I didn't realise it was something that should be tracked :( Is there any way I can manually check which disk has parity data on it, as that would confirm if the disk currently in the parity slot is the actual parity disk?

'ls boot' gave an error, did you mean /boot?

root@Unraid:~# ls boot
/bin/ls: cannot access 'boot': No such file or directory
root@Unraid:~# ls /boot
EFI/                          bzimage           bzroot             changes.txt  license.txt          make_bootable_mac  syslinux.cfg-
System\ Volume\ Information/  bzimage.sha256    bzroot-gui         config/      logs/                memtest
bzfirmware                    bzmodules         bzroot-gui.sha256  ldlinux.c32  make_bootable.bat    previous/
bzfirmware.sha256             bzmodules.sha256  bzroot.sha256      ldlinux.sys  make_bootable_linux  syslinux/

• Solution
11 hours ago, Linkex said:

From what I've read, it looks like the best option is to create a new config

A new config won't help in this case, this *should* work, type this for disks 3 and 4:

sgdisk -o -n 1:1M:0 /dev/sdX

Replace X with the wrong disks identifiers, disks 3 and 4, then reboot, disks will no longer show as wrong and the previous filesystem should mount.

I've just spotted, next to the start button it does say 'Start will start Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild', so I'm quietly hoping that means it will rebuild disk 4 if I start the array. However, I will indeed wait for JorgeB to update before I touch anything, just in case there is a better/safer option :D

1 hour ago, Linkex said:

but the other is still showing 'wrong'

Sorry, didn't notice it was a 2TB disk, that will be MBR, not GPT, unassign that disk and start the array, the emulated disk should mount and you can then rebuild, another way would be to get a 2TB disk MBR to replace that once, but since you don't have another 2TB disk a rebuild will probably be easier.

Done, and it looks like my array is doing a data rebuild, so I do believe I'm now sorted. Thank you very much for that :D

Would I be right in thinking that this happened because I added disks with existing partition tables to the array? Is there something I could/should have done with the disks before adding them to the array that would prevent this?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Linkex said:

array? Is there something I could/should have done with the disks before adding them to the array that would prevent this?

You could first delete any existing partitions.  This should be possible via Unassigned Devices.

alternatively running a Preclear on a drive will erase any existing partitions.