Network connectivity Options without direct router access

Hi all.. I contacted my internet service provider with the hope that they could move my router into my office upstairs that way i can have both my main machine and the NAS connected directly to the internet so both can benefit from my 1gbs internet speed but also benefit from 2.5gbs connectivity. They have advised me that they cannot move the router as there no way to reach the part of the house and their current regulations do not allow them to run cable across the roof. Currently my main machine is connected via wifi and the nas located in the attic via room via a power line adapter. The problem is that the power line adapter can only transfer data up to 20-30 megabytes a second which is fine for small files but with your average uncompressed 4k being between 50 - 70gb this could take up to an hour to transfer a single file across the network, even when using a a high speed nvme cache drive. To me the only option is to invest in a wifi 6e mesh system that way i can benefit from a higher WIFI  internet speeds as well as being  able to connect the nas directly to one of the 2.5gbs ethernet ports on one of the satellites. However these are expensive  so I'm interested to know how people who are in a similar predicament as me have managed to attain decent speeds i.e where their nas couldn't be connected directly to the router. Is using a mesh system my only option?

Not really an option for me as the room where my office is located is in the middle of the house (basically an unused bedroom) surrounded by other rooms and a bathroom so drilling holes into walls wasn't really an option for me(would have to go through two walls and a bathroom ) not forgetting an unsightly white thick cable running across the rooms. The only option I had was taking ethernet starting from the downstairs front room where the router is located and all around the downstairs area up the staircase and then finishing up in my office which is a hell of a lot ethernet. I was really hoping they could just take it over the roof it would have been the cleanest and easiest way to do it as they have previously done it at my folks house but they guy insisted he cant otherwise he would face a disciplinary ,How do you run your wiring?

3 hours ago, PhantomICEMAN said:

I was really hoping they could just take it over the roof it would have been the cleanest and easiest way to do it as they have previously done it at my folks house but they guy insisted he cant otherwise he would face a disciplinary ,How do you run your wiring?

Over the roof as through the attic?

10 hours ago, PhantomICEMAN said:

How do you run your wiring?

I have carpet downstairs, so I ran Cat6 from the router that is physically next to the modem tucked under the carpet, along the baseboards from the back of the house to the fron t of the house. Previously (different rental), I can all my Cat5e thru the attic and did my own drops in the walls I was interested in. Then all I had to do was add a new "outlet" to the wall for the ethernet cable.

No as in the actual roof, this is coax for the virgin broadband line

Why not have them run it through the attic?

Edited by whipdancer
  • 2 weeks later...