Where is the 'Prefer' Setting

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Greetings unRaid community,

I am trying to trouble shoot an unrelated issue and I see that many times people mention the ability to set shares as 'Prefer'.

*Apparently 'Prefer' means data will be kept on the cache and not moved to array, but this is unrelated to this post.

When I enter the share settings for each of my shares I do not see the option to set anything to 'Prefer'.

After installing Photoprism, I think that there is something set to 'Prefer' because Photoprism's files are set to stay on the cache drive.

For those not familiar with Photoprism: this program indexes all photos on the array and then creates thumbnails on the cache for creating a readily accessible image gallery for other computers on that network.

Going back to the issue: can someone please clarify the location of the 'Prefer' setting?

Attached: the settings for my 'appdata' share.

image.thumb.png.57586bf14be6710e7d5b6adb06184fee.png

7 hours ago, B Train said:

Thank you trurl.

Apologies for missing something so basic but I genuinely am way over my head reading the release notes.

It might as well be greek for a n00b like me.

Glad to have such an amazing community.

It is also worth pointing out that both old and new terminology are covered in the User Shares section of the the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.   The Unraid OS->Manual section covers most aspects of the current Unraid release.

• Upvote 1

This is just a new way of representing things since many new users were confused by the "prefer" setting.

Everything still works just as it always has, it is just represented differently in the webUI.

Primary is where new files go, this is how cache:yes and cache:prefer both worked. This setting would be the array for cache:no shares, and it would be cache or other designated pool for cache:only.

Secondary is where overflow goes, this is also how cache:yes and cache:prefer both worked. If cache (or other pool designated as Primary) gets below its Minimum Free, new files will overflow to the array. This setting isn't used for cache:no and cache:only since they don't overflow.

Mover action, the direction files get moved, is the difference between cache:yes and cache:prefer.

• Upvote 1