SSD drive used for cache almost full, safe way to replace it?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I've got an Unraid machine with an ASRock J5040 motherboard with only 4 SATA ports. It's fine for my purposes (came from a previous system), and I have

1 x 2 TB SSD (cache)

3 x 10 TB HDD (Raidz1 main arraid)

I've used the SSD not only for cache, but to have there all my personal photos and videos. After organizing all of them I've realized that there's almost no space left on the SSD, so I have bought a 4 TB SSD drive to replace it. The problem is, I don't have a 5th SATA connector that could allow me to connect it straight away, copy the data from one to the other and keep everything as it is.

I wonder what would be the easiest and safest way to replace the SSD. I guess I should

shutdown Unraid

Take out the 2TB SSD Drive

Connect the 4TB SSD Drive and initialize it to replace the old 2TB one

Connect the 2TB SSD Drive to the USB port of the Unraid system through an SSD to USB adapter and make use of Unassigned devices to mount it

Copy everything from the old drive to the new one.

I don't know if this makes sense, there's probably a better option (or one that works if the one proposed is just not right).

Edit: I've seen this post titled 'Replacing a pool disk' and the process I mention seems to be pretty similar to what this explains. Let me know if that would work (the new drive would be empty, so the idea is to format it and then copy all the content from the older drive).

ssd-unraid.jpg

Edited by JaviPas
Included a link with information that was in the forums.
  • Solution
13 hours ago, JaviPas said:

shutdown Unraid

Take out the 2TB SSD Drive

Connect the 4TB SSD Drive and initialize it to replace the old 2TB one

Connect the 2TB SSD Drive to the USB port of the Unraid system through an SSD to USB adapter and make use of Unassigned devices to mount it

Copy everything from the old drive to the new one.

That should work as long the USB bridge is transparent.

• Thanks 1