Trying to spread the data from one drive in array to all drives.

Am I stupid?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

New Unraid user here. I started my server back in December and have been storing the media for Plex in a share. However, when first offloading to the share from an external drive, I guess in the file manager I accidentally navigated through disk1 to get to it. I have read up on how to balance the data, and unbalance came up. The thing is, that when I select the source folder on disk1, I can spread the data to every drive on the array except for disk1. My array is a RAID 5 with 4x20TB and a 1TB SSD cache. Here are the screenshots, and I am ready to be humbled.

Array.PNG

Error.PNG

Unbalance.PNG

4 hours ago, gamingwin2023 said:

when first offloading to the share from an external drive, I guess in the file manager I accidentally navigated through disk1 to get to it.

Your first screenshot showed you were trying to copy data FROM disk1 TO an Unassigned Device so not entirely clear.

Could be you were copying to the user share you intended and not actually copying to a specific disk, and it went to disk1 first because of Highwater Allocation Method. This is the default for good reasons.

Why do you think you want files balanced across drives anyway?

• Like 1

I have been running into r/w saturation while downloading to the array and playing back media on plex. It gets to the point where I cannot stream anything on plex. My thought process was that if I split the data across the three active drives, that reading the data would be faster than reading the data off of a single drive. Diagnostics attached below, thanks for your help Trurl!

deathstar-diagnostics-20240110-1520.zip

Each file in the Unraid array exists on a single disk, so any file will always be read from the single disk it is on. If you have many multiple streams going it is possible for there to be some contention for access to multiple files on a single disk. How many simultaneous plex streams do you typically have?

Even if you had some of the files on other disks, no way to control which disks will have the files to be accessed so there could still be some contention. You really should be able to handle 2 streams from one disk though. Are you writing a lot to the server while trying to stream from it?