Unhappy w/ Unraid

So I dove head first into Unraid after watching the video of building a gaming PC w/ a media center all in one. Thought this was an amazing idea and something worth getting into since I was already running a mini media server and a gaming PC that I planned on updating anyway. After all this I found that Unraid is about the most unbaked software I've ever dealt with. constantly crashing while running a VM. I read a gentleman's comparison of Unraid vs Proxmox and he stated when running Unraid it's like stubbing your toe every step of the way and he 100% right. just when you think you have your VM all tuned in and running smooth something crazy within Unraid freaks out and corrupts the vdisk img. Audio will randomly stop, Unraid will randomly restart, I can't shutdown or reboot the VM without crashing Unraid, there's 0 support for this.

After trying to make this system work for over 2 months I am tapping out. Reading countless forum posts of users having the exact same problems with no true resolution, only work arounds and temporary fixes I'm switching to Proxmox. It's ridiculous to charge customers and make them the guinea pigs of your unstable half baked OS and advertise it as if it can do all these things reliably on your homepage when it clearly can't. 👎

sorry for you that you have read the wrong infos before buying. UNRAID is NOT a video center in the first place, its a file server. Everything else is optional and out of scope from the development team.

If your VM crashes or not, is nothing of interest.

(and yes, the used virtualizer "qemu" is the worst I have ever seen, but its no miracle, you could have found the info)

As said, the benefits of UNRAID are about file handling. The unique feature to allow a RAID-like array with mixed drives is outstanding. Sadly people always want more, more and more. And someday "more" becomes "too much".

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

sorry for you that you have read the wrong infos before buying. UNRAID is NOT a video center in the first place, its a file server. Everything else is optional and out of scope from the development team.

If your VM crashes or not, is nothing of interest.

(and yes, the used virtualizer "qemu" is the worst I have ever seen, but its no miracle, you could have found the info)

As said, the benefits of UNRAID are about file handling. The unique feature to allow a RAID-like array with mixed drives is outstanding. Sadly people always want more, more and more. And someday "more" becomes "too much".

You're 100% spot on. I think Unraid is great for file handling & docker containers. Unraid Gamers This is the nonsense I believed... 

Yeah, this is nonsense, maybe somebody is dreaming?

And of course the marketing department is the last to tell the truth.

Anyway, pushing something into a direction it was never meant to go, usually fails miserably.

And UNRAID failed a lot last year (with zfs and so on), so maybe its time for a new start.

In general I am very pleased with it, but all the efforts of the last times went away from the basics and ended up in a "does not work well" scenario. They should stop this stuff and concentrate on things that are really missing like a global read cache.

(They thought they could eleminate the demand by including zfs, but it turns out to be a boomerang)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
On 1/11/2024 at 5:26 AM, MAM59 said:

Yeah, this is nonsense, maybe somebody is dreaming?

And of course the marketing department is the last to tell the truth.

"Need a car to commute to work? Also want crazy fast straight line runs at the track on weekends? AND you want to go to space but need an orbiter? The Fiero is the car for you! *some assembly required" -the marketing wanks at GM after watching F9 

image.thumb.png.a010a0c24e7a9329886c049504d5d89b.png