Indexing solution when using network shares (windows 10, 6.12.6)

Hello
I am using windows 10 while accessing unraid via a network share. By now the system grew to a huge number of files and many drives. As a result real time searches, as forced by windows, take ages. Is there a solution and preferably one that is realizable for a beginner?

Unfortunately the discussions I have found are rather old and/ or mostly not in connection with a network share.

So far I learned that Windows does not index network shares and there is nothing for a Windows sided indexing unless you use an external file manager which I am a bit reluctant to do since I mostly like the one windows provides. 

The server sided solutions for indexing are often outdated discussions or seem to be regarding a search within unraid or a file manager docker but not for users accessing files via e.g. a windows network share. 

I don't mind where it is indexed but I just would like to have a faster search result on windows. As a last resort, is there a better file manager for windows I have missed?

On the side, is it really that infrequent that people use a similar setup as me? Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance!

36 minutes ago, trurl said:

Dynamix Cache Dirs plugin may help.

Be careful with this one since (as I recall) it uses 'free' memory to cache the information.  If you are caching large numbers of files, it can run out of this memory and 'flush' earlier entries.  It then will eventually refresh these entries.  The result can be almost constant disk activity.  Be sure to do a bit of Google research (using unraid.net as the first search parameter) in getting it setup as the Support thread covers all of the Dynamix plugins which results in a 'lot of noise' when going through it!  (I do use this plugin but I only cache a single Share--- my Media files.  There are less than 6000 entries which seems to work with my having 8GB of RAM.) 

Thank you for your reply!

58 minutes ago, trurl said:

Dynamix Cache Dirs plugin may help.

I tried that one a while a go but never got it to work. I will git it a second try then.

10 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Be careful with this one since (as I recall) it uses 'free' memory to cache the information.  If you are caching large numbers of files, it can run out of this memory and 'flush' earlier entries.

Thank you for the heads up! That may be a big issue since there may be 10x that amount of files on there. I will give it a read.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Also Dynamix File Manager plugin

I do have krusader for the rare cases i need it but both would not help the indexing need for windows.  

38 minutes ago, Georg said:

I do have krusader for the rare cases i need it but both would not help the indexing need for windows.  

Try spinnning up all of the drives first on the server.  (It is the "SPIN UP" button' in the "ARRAY OPERATIONS" section of the MAIN tab.  Unraid will do this but it always seemed to me that it does them one-at-time rather simultaneously.)