How to retain Docker Container data and settings ? v6.12.6

I am quite new to Unraid. Apologies, if this question has been answered before. 

I have my Media Stack setup on Unraid (Sonarr - Radarr - Jackett - Plex - QBitTorrent). I noticed that when I updated the containers, I basically lost all the settings and metadata of these apps:

- For the *arr Lost all Indexers, Quality, Download Clients & Profiles settings. Also Movies and Shows library became empty.

- Jackett - Lost all the Indexers that were added

- Plex - Thanksfully while all the data was still there. The metadata/ Thumbnails were all lost and also I'm pretty sure that some of the app settings got reset to default.

I spent close to 2 hours this morning, setting it all back up again. 

I reckon there must be a way to update the containers without affecting the internal data/settings of it. 

Can someone guide me on how to do this in future without losing these settings?

The key thing when using docker is that all the locations where a particular container stores variable data should be mapped to a location on the host (typically in a folder under the 'appdata' share) as that then survives a container update.   If only mapped internally to the docker image file then this type of information gets lost whenever the container is updated.   

Which location that actually is is container specific although normally when installing via the Unraid Apps tab the docker template will indicate which locations should be mapped to the host.

24 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The key thing when using docker is that all the locations where a particular container stores variable data should be mapped to a location on the host (typically in a folder under the 'appdata' share) as that then survives a container update.   If only mapped internally to the docker image file then this type of information gets lost whenever the container is updated.   

I do have separate folders under 'appdata' share for all those applications, if that's what you mean. If that does survive containr updates, how come I lost all settings. I am confused. Am I missing something ? 

data should be mapped to a location on the host

Is this something I need to do manually ?