No web interface (GUI) after theme change.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello @ll,

I had set my Unraid web interface to dark mode using the Unraid Theme Engine. After making the change, I no longer have access to the web interface.

I restarted the system, but it continues to boot without the web interface. Docker containers and shares are functioning (auto start), and I still have full access to my server through the console / GUI mode.

I suspect that no web template is being loaded. Here is my diagnostics file.

Thanks in advance for your help!

horus-diagnostics-20240131-1855.zip

Hello JorgeB, thank you for your support.

I edited the dynamic.cfg and set the theme to white, like you said. After a reboot the GUI still isn't there.

I noticed some errors while the system is booting. Maybe that could be the main problem? Thanks allot.

625858114_Bildschirmfoto2024-02-03um19_08_00.thumb.png.b039b6ce6e251fb46c7876b81827ca7b.png

On 1/31/2024 at 2:45 PM, Tryzzel said:

Theme Engine

This is a plugin, and it has its own support thread which you can access by clicking its Support link in the Plugins page of your Unraid webUI.

Probably if you boot your original flash drive in SAFE mode it will work too.

Or just remove the plugin from config/plugins on your Unraid flash drive.

All right, I deleted the plugin at "config/plugins/theme.engine" stored it on a separate disk).

Unraid boots as expected, displaying familiar error messages similar to those captured in the provided screenshot.

While all Docker containers and virtual machines are functioning properly, the web GUI remains inaccessible, showing a blank page when accessed via the assigned IP address.

I think we can exclude a plugin error from Theme Engine.

Edited by Tryzzel

I've never used that plugin, but normally a plugin can't change anything permanently. The OS is in archives on the flash drive, and are loaded fresh into RAM at boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. So the OS that is getting loaded hasn't changed since you updated Unraid versions.

Did you delete both the theme.engine.plg file and theme.engine folder from config/plugins?

You have a lot of stuff in /boot/extra that is loading at bootup, looks like most of that is from NerdTools, but might be a good idea to remove or rename the extra folder on flash.

• Like 1
  • Solution

Since a new flash drive with a stock install works, you can try redoing the flash drive, backup the current one first and then redo it and just restore the bare minimum, like the key, super.dat and the pools folder for the assignments, also copy the docker user templates folder, if all works you can then reconfigure the server or try restoring a few config files at a time from the backup to see if you can find the culprit.

• Like 1
On 2/8/2024 at 10:00 PM, trurl said:

I've never used that plugin, but normally a plugin can't change anything permanently. The OS is in archives on the flash drive, and are loaded fresh into RAM at boot, and the OS runs completely in RAM. So the OS that is getting loaded hasn't changed since you updated Unraid versions.

Did you delete both the theme.engine.plg file and theme.engine folder from config/plugins?

You have a lot of stuff in /boot/extra that is loading at bootup, looks like most of that is from NerdTools, but might be a good idea to remove or rename the extra folder on flash.

Actually, I didn't delete the 'theme.engine.plg' from 'config/plugins.' I have now done that and also deleted the '/boot/extra,' saving both separately. After a reboot, however, the web GUI remains again white.

I was hoping it would be that straightforward. Thanks for the guidance.

13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Since a new flash drive with a stock install works, you can try redoing the flash drive, backup the current one first and then redo it and just restore the bare minimum, like the key, super.dat and the pools folder for the assignments, also copy the docker user templates folder, if all works you can then reconfigure the server or try restoring a few config files at a time from the backup to see if you can find the culprit.

Rebuilding the USB stick seems a bit tricky. Is there a chance I could lose access to my data? I'd prefer to make a backup of crucial files while I still have access to my shares before taking that step.

I'll provide an update as soon as I get the chance to do so. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Hello, after such a long time. I finally had the time to rebuild the USB stick.

It was easier than I thought and without data loss.

During the rebuild, I noticed that as soon as I transfer any plugin from the backup to the new stick, the web UI disappears.

I then freshly installed the plugins, and everything is running as usual again. I would like to thank you again for your help. 😃 👍

• Like 1

I'm just here to chime in that my web gui has the same symptoms as Tryzzel. I was playing with the themes on theme.park plugin and now it is toast. Unfortunately, I see no resolution was found in this thread except to go back to stock.

I wish Unraid would now warn others on this specific plugin because I think it is really no longer supported on unraid's latest changes to the gui.