Unraid 6.12.6 - Parity Device is disabled

Hello Everyone,

I'm having a little trouble with my Parity disk.

The disk is almost new (it has a couple of months), but today I saw that it has error on it and that the parity is not guaranteed anymore.

Before I pull out the disk and send it back in guarantee - could someone help me to understand if it's really a physical defect?

The SMART tells me all is ok...

Disk is a Toshiba: 

TOSHIBA_MG10ACA20TE_Z2E0A0NSF4MJ

image.thumb.png.f3f99ac8ac18e0040f8f5c3c8946c32c.png

Also I have enabled automatic Spin down. 
Could this lead to problems if the parity is spun down automatically?

Thank you in advance.

sekiro-diagnostics-20240205-1510.zip

Looking at the syslog this looks more like a connection issue (power or SATA) rather than a disk failure.   

Connection issues are far more frequent than real disk failures.  Doing an extended SMART test is a good indication of it being OK if it passes

Just now, itimpi said:

Looking at the syslog this looks more like a connection issue (power or SATA) rather than a disk failure.   

Connection issues are far more frequent than real disk failures.  Doing an extended SMART test is a good indication of it being OK if it passes

Hello,

I will order a new set of cables just to make sure it's not a faulty cable as you suggest (it will need a couple of days I think from Amazon, cause I need mini sas to 8088)

I've now removed the disk to the array and readded it - and it's now building the parity again.

Thanks again for the tip.

3 minutes ago, TDA said:

Hello,

I will order a new set of cables just to make sure it's not a faulty cable as you suggest (it will need a couple of days I think from Amazon, cause I need mini sas to 8088)

I've now removed the disk to the array and readded it - and it's now building the parity again.

Thanks again for the tip.

Don't forget it can also be power related.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 3:31 PM, itimpi said:

Don't forget it can also be power related.

Yeah I know, but the power from the PSU is enough - and if it has problems, it should affect the server too (theoretically)

25 minutes ago, TDA said:

Yeah I know, but the power from the PSU is enough - and if it has problems, it should affect the server too (theoretically)

If the connection path to the drive from the PSU has a high resistance or intermittent connection it doesn't matter if the PSU is enough.

6 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

If the connection path to the drive from the PSU has a high resistance or intermittent connection it doesn't matter if the PSU is enough.

Ok, fair enough.

But then to troubleshoot if the problem is the PSU, I should switch cable with another disk right?
Since all other disk don't have problems