Had to force shutdown Unraid computer, now a disk is "Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system". Emulating via parity is missing data.

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Had to force shutdown Unraid computer since everything was frozen. After booting up, my disk 5 says:

Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system

If I boot with the disk with that status or if I unassign the drive for that disk from the array via Web UI, Unraid says

Device is missing (disabled), contents emulated

However, I've noticed that some of my files are missing, maybe all on that disk are but I don't know how to check. If I go to my shares and see where the files are in, none list the disk that is being emulated or anything like "emulated"/"parity". Unraid Dashboard tells me "Parity is valid" but I know I haven't run parity check in a while.

I attached  the result of Check Filesystem according to https://docs.unraid.net/legacy/FAQ/check-disk-filesystems/ for my drive type which is xfs-encrypted. Unraid Check Disk Result.txt

What should I do now? I guess try to repair the disk? What command should I run. And before that, is there a way I can tell which files are being emulated based on parity?

Edited by g1345
Clarify problem is in disk 5

Did you check filesystem of the emulated disk from the webUI?

Yes, results are in the original post.

Attach Diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Is there a certain file or files you are looking for. I don't want to attach the entire diagnostics in case there is any sensitive information in there. Here is the SMART report for the problematic drive WDC_WD181KFGX-68AFPN0_2JK9JGJD-20240205-1821 (sdl).txt

23 hours ago, g1345 said:

The link you posted is not to the current documentation. Check filesystem is the correct link.

23 hours ago, g1345 said:

which files are being emulated based on parity?

Parity can't emulate any files on an unmountable disk. So all files on that disk are currently missing.

The check filesystem results you posted indicate the -n option was used, so nothing was actually changed to make the disk mountable.

Check filesystem on the emulated disk. Be sure to do it from the webUI, and without -n option. If it asks for it, use -L.

Then start the array in normal (not maintenance) mode and post new diagnostics.

Sorry not sure where I got that other link from, but in the OP, I followed the steps in the correct link which is https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#checking-a-file-system until Part 8 in "Running the Test using the webGui"

8. If you are not sure what the results of the check mean you should copy the progress information so you can ask a question in the forum. When including this information as part of a forum post mark them as code (using the <?> icon) to preserve the formatting as otherwise it becomes difficult to read.

Also the situation has changed now. Maybe it is the result of using my server with the drive emulated but it looks like Unraid "forgot" the problematic drive now. Before I was able to start the array with either the the problematic drive still assigned or unassigned and in both cases, Unraid would say "Device is missing (disabled), contents emulated". The results of Check Filesystem in OP was when the drive was still assigned and I started the array in Maintenance Mode. But now, if I try to start the array with the problematic drive assigned, even though the serial number is still the same, it says it is a "New Device" and

Replacement disk installed. Start will start Parity-Sync and/or Data-Rebuild.

which I think I don't want for now? So I can only start with the drive unassigned. Running Check Filesystem (kept -n as before, dont want to make any modifications yet) on the disk with the drive unassigned for 30 mins just gets stuck on

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...

Here are diagnostics  from yesterday. I think this was before Unraid "forgot" the drive. Can't get current diagnostics, just seems to get stuck after a while. Array currently has the disk that used to contain the problematic drive unassigned so it is saying "Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system" and "Unmountable: Unsupported or no file system". Files are still missing.

Is there any way I can preview what it would look like rebuilding from parity? Or is parity currently emulating the disk in a broken state?

Edited by g1345
7 hours ago, g1345 said:

Is there any way I can preview what it would look like rebuilding from parity?

Parity will rebuild what the current emulated disk is showing, I assume disk5 was also encrypted? I'm not seeing that disk being decrypted, since you are running an old release candidate, first thing it to update to latest stable, in case that's a bug with that release, then post new diags after array start.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:09 AM, JorgeB said:

Parity will rebuild what the current emulated disk is showing, I assume disk5 was also encrypted? I'm not seeing that disk being decrypted, since you are running an old release candidate, first thing it to update to latest stable, in case that's a bug with that release, then post new diags after array start.

Yes. Disk 5 is the problematic disk and the format was xfs-encrypted and it is still set to that in the settings page.

Updated Unraid but still same situation. The problematic drive is detected as a new device if I assign it back to the disk so I am running with that disk unassigned. The files are still missing.

Edited by g1345
  • Solution

Assigning a disk to a slot that didn't have anything assigned to it the last time the array was started, is exactly what triggers a rebuild. In fact, what you did is basically the same as the "rebuild on top" instructions:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#rebuilding-a-drive-onto-itself

Emulated disk5 still unmountable. Have you tried check filesystem on disk5 since you upgraded?

21 hours ago, trurl said:

Check filesystem on the emulated disk. Be sure to do it from the webUI, and without -n option. If it asks for it, use -L.

Then start the array in normal (not maintenance) mode and post new diagnostics.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:34 PM, trurl said:

Assigning a disk to a slot that didn't have anything assigned to it the last time the array was started, is exactly what triggers a rebuild.

Okay my bad. I unassigned the drive from disk 5 because I though that would make Unraid emulate the drive from parity with unbroken data.

Ran Check Filesystem on Disk 5 with no drive assigned

1. First ran with -n and it completed instead of hanging like before Check Disk with -n
  2. Then ran without -n and it asked for -L
  3. Ran with -L Check Disk with -L

Diagnostics 

The emulated drive no longer shows as unmountable. The files that I noticed were missing are now back. Can't tell if all the files are back. I have a script that runs a tree command on my main share directory every week. I have one from 1 week ago so I could try to check against that.

So now what should I do? Should I rebuild the disk onto the drive from parity assuming I don't find any missing files?

Edited by g1345
10 hours ago, g1345 said:

Should I rebuild the disk onto the drive from parity assuming I don't find any missing files?

Yep.

The main issue what that the rc you were using was not decrypting the emulated disk, so a bug, you should only use releases candidates until a stable is available, and then update ASAP.