Custom Dashboard Tiles

One of the features that brings me back to UNRAID is the fantastic dashboard with the multitude of tiles available OOTB and via plugins.

I would really like to see the option of creating your own custom tile. I have some use-cases where by using a combination of APIs, SMART tools, I could add my own stats from other machines/apps.

43 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

One of the features that brings me back to UNRAID is the fantastic dashboard with the multitude of tiles available OOTB and via plugins.

I would really like to see the option of creating your own custom tile. I have some use-cases where by using a combination of APIs, SMART tools, I could add my own stats from other machines/apps.

Plugins can already add tiles, so I see no reason you should not be able to do this by using the same technique that they use.

54 minutes ago, mikeyosm said:

There is a sample tile page file here https://github.com/unraid/webgui/blob/master/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/DashboardCustomTileExample.page-

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, itimpi said:

Plugins can already add tiles, so I see no reason you should not be able to do this by using the same technique that they use.

Yep, I know this, however, you need to develop your own plugin to add a tile which in my mind is more difficult than having an 'add tile' option and being able to edit it.

1 hour ago, mikeyosm said:

Yep, I know this, however, you need to develop your own plugin to add a tile which in my mind is more difficult than having an 'add tile' option and being able to edit it.

You do not actually have to write a plugin!    You can just create a folder on the flash drive under config/plugins and put the .page file there.  A plugin is just a convenient way of packaging such files for others, and also allows for loading any software components that might be required to support the tile.

50 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You do not actually have to write a plugin!    You can just create a folder on the flash drive under config/plugins and put the .page file there.  A plugin is just a convenient way of packaging such files for others, and also allows for loading any software components that might be required to support the tile.

OK, makes sense. All I want is a tile that enables me to display remote SMART stats from other servers on my network and refresh every 5s

In terms of layout it should look something like the UPS tile below. Figured that having a blank tile with options to add an icon, title, resizable columns and rows would simplify the whole design process.image.png.5e8071b841f36fa3b5d99c8d08b47b8e.png

Edited by mikeyosm

I agree that having some GUI support might be nice, but thought it was worth pointing out a way to proceed at the moment.   Providing feedback on what you find doing so might help with clarifying what might be worth adding to the GUI.   

It is also worth pointing out that the Unraid GUI source is available on gitHub, so it is possible for anyone (not just Limetech) to add such a function by working out what needs doing and submitting a pull request.  Limetech have final authority but as long as it is purely GUI changes (and thus not likely to break underlying functionality) then it would almost certainly be accepted.

• Thanks 1