Question about parity sync

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello! I don't really know how does it work and I have a question about a small observation.

My system (currently a test build) is running a parity sync. I have 1 parity drive (10TB) and 2 other disks in the array (6TB and 2 TB). Right now, the parity sync process is at 49% and in the 'read' column, only the 6 TB drive is showing read operations. The 2TB drive is not doing anything atm. I guess this is normal? I even tried to spin it down and it stopped, so I'm guessing that the parity sync process has finished with that disk, right?

PS: Where can I find detailed information about the inner workings of the parity check? I would like to have a better understanding.

image.thumb.png.39d020895a0e71242b6a6d58f0347be0.png

• Solution

Not sure there is a description of the sort you are asking for.    The parity sync works serially through sectors starting on the outmost cylinders.   As soon as the max sector on a drive has been used that drive has no further part in the parity sync.   In your case the 2TB drive will be first to stop taking part and later the 6TB drive.   The parity sync keeps going until the last sector on the parity drive (at 10TB) has been processed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply!

17 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The parity sync keeps going until the last sector on the parity drive (at 10TB) has been processed.

So, even though my biggest drive on the array is 6 TB (besides the parity drive), the parity drive has to keep going till the end, right?