Going from 3 cache drives to 1

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

My current cache pool looks like this:
image.thumb.png.aa8721d139dfb6271af50ee64edeb4fe.png

I would like to convert that pool into a single drive and simply use the 250 GB Samsung SSD. Which steps do I need to follow?

PS: It is mostly for the sake of learning; I know that having a redundant cache is ideal. My current Unraid setup is just a testing/learning environment. I want to familiarise myself with everything that I need to know before I move all my data to Unraid. The plan will be to use 2 NVME drives mirrored.

Edited by s1l3nce

You need to make sure that the pool is completely balanced to RAID1 initially.   You can then remove 1 drive and then you need to rebalance it to RAID1 gain with just 2 drives present.   You can then remove the second drive.  You now want to change it to use the Single profile.

• Like 1

And I just got this message on the console

image.thumb.png.80a921bbf26f926fe8ca76d1b3738d05.png

Should I proceed with the next disk?

Btw, on the first disk removal, I clicked here where it says "balanced" and a percentage showed up. But once the first disk was removed, when I clicked on it again, it did not show any activity, although there was activity between the drives, like I showed in the console.

image.thumb.png.a6622b519b4156e7edaa0a2081cd75e3.png

Edited by s1l3nce

This is what I see on the slot of the last SSD I removed (that now shows as Not Installed)

image.thumb.png.22534f4085579fba205f6f6d711f68ba.png

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

You now want to change it to use the Single profile.

It does not seem to be possible to activate single profile from this menu now.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Parity check would be unrelated, maybe an unclean shutdown.

It's weird because I stopped it every time during this process. It happened after starting the array with only one SSD.

Will try your suggestion and report back.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

for the pool you can reimport with the device in the top slot, stop array, unassign the pool device, start array, stop array, re-assign the pool device, start array.

It worked, brother. And, curiously enough, the parity check corrected itself after that without having to do a full parity check. 

Thanks a lot for all the help 🙏