Array has 1 failed device. - what's next steps?

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I got a notification that my disk 3 is disabled. I ran a SMART extended self-test and short test. The short test yielded nothing but the extended test yielded an error. I am not quite sure how to read it. What are the next steps here? It says that disk 3 is disabled. Test results are attached as well as diagnostics

image.png.6ac9b7b278e2187856b82b1e8d290d71.pngimage.thumb.png.97ab028de1ed1cff277dac92be9ab332.png

TOSHIBA_HDWG460_32H0A0EZFR1H-20240222-0122.txt tower-diagnostics-20240221-2024.zip

38 minutes ago, trurl said:

Since disk3 failed the extended test it must be replaced. Do you have a spare to rebuild to?

Thank you. I assumed as much. This is the first time I'm dealing with any disk issues. I don't have any spares but I assume if I can buy new drive before any other disk failures and refill its contents I should be ok? I got it from best buy in 2023 so I assume I should have warranty. 

• Solution
5 hours ago, Ja55ie said:

I don't have any spares but I assume if I can buy new drive before any other disk failures and refill its contents I should be ok?

At the moment the system should be emulating dis3 and able to show its contents?   If you can get a replacement disk and then rebuild the contents of disk3 onto it the contents you can see on the emulated disk3 should automatically be there.

5 hours ago, Ja55ie said:

I got it from best buy in 2023 so I assume I should have warranty

A point worth mentioning is that if possible you should keep the 'failing' disk3 intact until you have successfully rebuilt emulated disk3 onto its replacement.  This is to give you an additional recovery option if anything goes wrong with that because although the current disk3 needs replacing I would expect that most of its content is still available if needed.  I mention this simply because for warranty you may need to return the 'failing' disk3.

Recommended steps if you have the ability to get another drive:

• Take disk out of the server and keep in safe space
  • Install new 6TB drive and follow rebuild process
  • If rebuild successful proceed RMA faulty drive
  • When drive comes back from RMA, keep it as spare
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 3:28 AM, itimpi said:

At the moment the system should be emulating dis3 and able to show its contents?   If you can get a replacement disk and then rebuild the contents of disk3 onto it the contents you can see on the emulated disk3 should automatically be there.

A point worth mentioning is that if possible you should keep the 'failing' disk3 intact until you have successfully rebuilt emulated disk3 onto its replacement.  This is to give you an additional recovery option if anything goes wrong with that because although the current disk3 needs replacing I would expect that most of its content is still available if needed.  I mention this simply because for warranty you may need to return the 'failing' disk3.

Thanks, I bought some extxra drives and was able to successful refill the failed drive. Everything is good now ! 

On 2/21/2024 at 9:04 PM, trurl said:

Unrelated, 200G docker.img is probably 10X as large as needed.

Thanks for this heads up as well! I deleted my docker image and then reinstalled everything. 

Regards,