Help with using robocopy to backup files from PC to Unraid Server

Go to solution Solved by MAM59,

I got a large local disk on my Windows 10 that I wanna back up to my Unraid Server.

I love using robocopy as it gives me less hassle than using explorer when copying large amounts of data and avoiding the character limits.

So I wanted to use robocopy to do the same over Network.

Initially I was denied access, the usual but after messing around and making the Share Public, it allows the test file to copy over.

But I'm still getting this error:

ERROR 1314 (0x00000522) Copying NTFS Security to Destination File X:\TEST\TEST.txt
A required privilege is not held by the client.

While the test file copies over okay I wanna make sure this won't cause me issues once I start copying TBs of data and if there is something I'm missing.

Is this error got something to do with the XFS FS?

I'm still new to Unraid, I set it up almost a year ago but not really used it until recently but I love how easy it is to work it using the web interface.

1 hour ago, UNPAID said:

I love using robocopy as it gives me less hassle than using explorer when copying large amounts of data and avoiding the character limits.

I understand, but I seem to recall issues with using it for array copies. Maybe give Unstoppable Copier a try? It's old, but still works fine for me.

• Solution

Your "problem" is that you want to copy stuff (ACLs) that UNIX does not honor. The target file is not capable to attach Window's security settings to that file.

That is pretty much normal, the SAMBA server on UNRAID uses it's own security settings (that you can control from the GUI), they cannot be overwritten from the LAN.

So, change your robocopy command line, NOT to include security stuff (for instance use /copy:DAT not /copy:DATS, not /COPYALL and no /SEC too)

Keep in mind that UNRAID and Windows use different users. So the windows security for user X has no meaning to linux user X.)

Edited by MAM59
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, MAM59 said:

Your "problem" is that you want to copy stuff (ACLs) that UNIX does not honor. The target file is not capable to attach Window's security settings to that file.

That is pretty much normal, the SAMBA server on UNRAID uses it's own security settings (that you can control from the GUI), they cannot be overwritten from the LAN.

So, change your robocopy command line, NOT to include security stuff (for instance use /copy:DAT not /copy:DATS, not /COPYALL and no /SEC too)

Keep in mind that UNRAID and Windows use different users. So the windows security for user X has no meaning to linux user X.)

This is way over my head but I think I understand.

I only ever use /COPYALL for flags but I tried /copy:DAT and I got 0 errors and no fails!

And of course, "S=Security=NTFS ACLs".

Thank you for your help. Even though it wasn't stopping it from copying it's good to know what was causing this error.