Moving Containers and VM's from array to cache

I've searched Reddit and this forum and not found the exact answers for my scenario or I didn't understand it.  I built my first Unraid server on Friday and I had 1) 2 x 4TB NVMe drives and 2) 1 x 2TB 2.5" SSD.  I created 2 caches, NVMe in raid 1 and 2.5"SSD as standard.  I build a Windows 10 VM and started adding containers but I accidentally did it on the array (still migrating ~50TB so no parity yet).  Now I want to move the containers to the NVMe cache and the Win10 VM to the 2.5" SSD cache.  I changed the app data share to only use cache.  I can't tell if they're still running on the array, but it doesn't feel like it as performance seems the same.  I was expecting it to be pretty snappy so I think I've not done it right.  How exactly can I tell where my VM and the containers are running?

Studio Snippet 2024-02-25 at 19.40.38.jpg

Studio Snippet 2024-02-25 at 19.41.49.jpg

Compute... for a share on the user shares page will show how much of each drive or pool is being used by the share.

57 minutes ago, Bmalone said:

changed the app data share to only use cache.

Mover ignores shares that don't have a Mover action, and simply changing it to only use cache will not move anything.

And nothing can move open files, so you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings to allow these to be moved.

Might be simpler to move them yourself with Dynamix File Manager plugin instead of trying to configure things so Mover will do it.

44 minutes ago, trurl said:

Compute... for a share on the user shares page will show how much of each drive or pool is being used by the share.

I tried this based on what I read in other posts and this made no sense to me.  How can a cache be 4TB, but have 21TB free?  That seems like a bug and I can’t trust the information in the Shares tab.

My 2.5” SSD shows 6b used, so I assume that VM will to have to be deleted and recreated.  Bit of a PITA, but my fault.  

Mover ignores shares that don't have a Mover action, and simply changing it to only use cache will not move anything.

Mover never comes into play because it will only move from primary to secondary storage, and in my config, I don’t want any secondary storage.  Can’t find any way of using mover for anything else so it’s pretty useless to me.

And nothing can move open files, so you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings to allow these to be moved.

Already did this multiple times.   I was actually so obsessed with this I forgot my media was copying and stopped it.  Now it’s taking me over an hour to delete what transferred in order to start again.

Might be simpler to move them yourself with Dynamix File Manager plugin instead of trying to configure things so Mover will do it.

I’d be happy to do this with Explorer if I knew what to move.  I did install File Manager but I can’t find a compatible GUI for it so it’s installed but I can’t access it.

You may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page as it covers exactly this scenario.   The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

12 hours ago, Bmalone said:

How can a cache be 4TB, but have 21TB free?

The free space displayed includes all disks and pools with files for the share. So apparently some of the files are not on cache.

it will only move from primary to secondary storage

No, this is wrong. If Primary gets below Minimum Free, new files will go to Secondary. Mover action is what controls which way files get moved.

I did install File Manager but I can’t find a compatible GUI for it so it’s installed but I can’t access it.

Click on the Support thread link for Dynamix File Manager plugin on the Plugins page of your Unraid webUI. The very first post in that thread has a pdf file that explains it pretty well. The GUI for Dynamix File Manager is the Unraid webUI itself.

From your diagnostics:

appdata                           shareUseCache="only"    # Share exists on cacheone, disk1
system                            shareUseCache="prefer"  # Share exists on disk1

Ideally, the shares used for Dockers/VMs would have all files on fast pool so Dockers/VMs will perform better, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

I didn't mention domains share since you have that configured to be in appdata also.

DOMAINDIR="/mnt/user/appdata/"

3 hours ago, trurl said:

The free space displayed includes all disks and pools with files for the share. So apparently some of the files are not on cache.

Ok.  I'll delete it and reinstall it.  I was hoping to avoid that.

No, this is wrong. If Primary gets below Minimum Free, new files will go to Secondary. Mover action is what controls which way files get moved.

I think we're saying the same thing.  I'm saying it won't work the other way around.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Click on the Support thread link for Dynamix File Manager plugin on the Plugins page of your Unraid webUI. The very first post in that thread has a pdf file that explains it pretty well. The GUI for Dynamix File Manager is the Unraid webUI itself.

I've read that, but that's not the behavior I'm seeing.  I will try to reinstall it and try to connect from a different device.

14 hours ago, itimpi said:

You may find this section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page as it covers exactly this scenario.   The Unraid OS->Manual section in particular covers most features of the current Unraid release.

I'll definitely check this out today.  Thanks

3 hours ago, trurl said:

From your diagnostics:

appdata                           shareUseCache="only"    # Share exists on cacheone, disk1
system                            shareUseCache="prefer"  # Share exists on disk1

Ideally, the shares used for Dockers/VMs would have all files on fast pool so Dockers/VMs will perform better, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

This is the issue I'm trying to solve. I installed it on the array accidentally when setting it up.  so when I changed the app data folder to exist on the cache, it's still running on disk too.  I'll check the documentation suggested and see if that sorts it.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

I didn't mention domains share since you have that configured to be in appdata also.

I don't have a domain yet for Unraid so I'm not sure what this is.

Edited by Bmalone
15 hours ago, itimpi said:

This looks like it has exactly what I need now that I've had a cursory glance.  Couldn't find this Googling.  Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, Bmalone said:

it won't work the other way around.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, wrong. It can go the other way.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

Mover action is what controls which way files get moved.

But

20 hours ago, trurl said:

nothing can move open files, so you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings to allow these to be moved.

2 hours ago, Bmalone said:

don't have a domain yet for Unraid

Nothing to do with a network domain. And you shouldn't put your server on the internet.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

This is where your VM vdisks are stored. You currently have that set to also go to appdata instead of the default domains share.