How do you handle power distribution?

I had an issue over the weekend where two drives errored at the same time and both were disabled. I tested each but was advised to look at the power connections. Everything seemed fine. Looked at the drives and they are fine. I have restored the array after moving the drives to separate power cables. 

So my question to anyone who would like to answer is how do you power your drives? I have a relatively small array . Two parity drives, two SSD cache drives and five array drives. But I am sure many of you have much larger arrays.

I have a 500W desktop power supply that I needed to add some Y power supply splitters to be able to power all of my drives. I was thinking of getting a modular power supply and try to minimize the use of any power splitters. Maybe use some custom cabling. Also, I don't have. a powered GPU in this system.

Give me your thoughts. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, MrOz said:

add some Y power supply splitters to be able to power all of my drives.

Were these SATA->SATA or Molex->SATA and how many ways were you splitting them?     

Nothing wrong with splitters per se but you do need to make sure that you are not trying to split a SATA connection in particular more than 2 ways.   In my experience Molex->SATA splitters are more reliable as the Molex connector end is more robust and can take a heavier current without voltage sag happening.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

Single rail power is all well and good, but it's more important to limit the number of drives per connector. And don't, use molded style connector splitters. Use only quality individually wired and pinned connectors.

This is the reason for this recommendation:

• Thanks 1