Array Planning

BACKGROUND:

I have 2 types of storage currently.  I have a separate Debian server that is super old (running an old i5) that I'm looking to retire.  It has basic RAID on it for a volitile storage area. 

As I said, it's old. 

1. Unraid server:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KZNy7R
  2. Debian 2 x 2TB - RAID 1 for frequently accessed files like music.

I put any of the things I need frequent access to on there (e.g. Linux ISO's I'm working with, my internal projects I code/mess with, music collection I stream daily).  This system just runs vanilla Debian and uses Samba to share stuff with.  I want to retire the Debian server...and I want to buy a couple of extra drives for the unraid server I have and move the data from the old system over.

QUESTION:

What type of Array on Unraid should I use for frequently accessed storage? 

I access the files on this Debian system daily and putting this onto my existing array that has archival files makes no sense to be honest because the array will be spinning up and getting wear and tear on them...as well as consuming power.  So, how do you plan for frequently accessed data on  your Unraid systems?

Edited by devnet

I leave everything spinning 24/7.  Very slight increase in power consumption vs spinning them down, but like everything else in the world the path to longevity on anything is to never turn them off.  I've got 10+ year old 3TB consumer grade drives still without any issues running.

Very frequently accessed files I leave on nvme cache-pools.  For backup / redundancy on them, its all done to a cloud server.

• Like 1

To answer what I can...

Yes, I spin up my drives to access movies and tv shows.  It takes a couple moments to go at first but then it's fine.  When binging tv shows they roll from EP to EP without any pause as long as you have your 'split level' done right under the share setting.

• Like 1