We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Trouble booting new Unraid server

Go to solution Solved by IWasBornOnAWaterMoon,

I used the Unraid drive creation tool to make a bootable USB on a 32gb Patriot stick I had lying around, and it reported success. If I try to boot from that USB however, it gets to my motherboard splash screen (the "Gigabyte: insist on ultra durable" one, where the OS is supposed to load) and appears to hang at that point, and also doesn't respond to keyboard inputs to jump into BIOS.

I've tried rebooting a few times, and have made darn sure that the USB is the top of the boot priority list.

Posting here because booting from a USB image of Ubuntu works fine and I can get to the operating system, so I don't think it's a hardware/BIOS issue, but rather something about the Unraid image specifically.

System information:

• AMD Ryzen 5600GT
  • Gigabyte A520i M/B
  • 2x g.Skill 16gb memory sticks
  • WD Green 1TB NVME drive in the M.2 slot.
  • No HDDs plugged in yet, was trying to prove I can get to the OS first before plugging everything in and buttoning it up.
  • Attempting to image Unraid 6.12.8

To add some more information here:
I'm not getting to the Unraid boot option GUI referenced in step 2 here: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/troubleshooting/

I've tried 3 different drives - a random USB 2 drive I had lying around, the Patriot 32GB, and a 16GB SanDisk Ultrafit. First and last by doing the manual install process, and the Patriot both manually and via the USB Creator tool.

Searching the forums for similar issues it seems like mostly it's "I forgot to rename 'EFI-' to 'EFI'", but I have definitely confirmed that the folder is appropriately named; each drive shows up in BIOS as a UEFI boot option, and I verified that it was first in the boot order.

I'm pretty sure I'm following the suggested settings here: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/getting-started/advanced-bios-config/
Specifically, it is definitely the primary boot device, storage controller is not RAID, virtualization and IOMMU are enabled, and it's a direct USB port off the motherboard, and fast boot is off.

For all cases, I get to the BIOS splash screen but it hangs prior to seeing any Unraid OS elements.

Every BIOS is different-- Even for similiar MB's from the same manufacturer.  This makes offering solutions for these types of problems very difficult.  Sometimes even a close reading of the manual will not answer some questions.   @IWasBornOnAWaterMoon, I would be googling the problem.  Keep asking Google with variations of the problem until you find the answer. You can also look at every screen in the BIOS to see if, buried deep down in the menu setup, there is another option for setting boot order. 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Solution

Okay, so this is solved, though I'm not entirely sure why:

On this particular Gigabyte motherboard, the USB appears as both "UEFI: DeviceName" and "DeviceName". Boot override into UEFI worked, but boot priority to UEFI didn't. Setting the boot order to the non-UEFI legacy version of the USB drive and leaving CSM enabled seems to have fixed it for a normal boot up procedure.