Move share to single disk [SOLVED]

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi All

I have an array where one share is accessed remotely constantly... this share is spread across several disks keeping the whole array spun up all the time. So, I have added a new disk, just to hold this share - so only this one disk will be permanently spinning. I plan to exclude this disk on all other shares and on the share which I want on here, I will allow this disk and exclude all the others on the array.

My question is... if I do this, will mover relocate all the data in this share to the single disk from the rest of the array - or do I need to make the allows/excludes and then manually move the data?

Thanks

Edited by SliMat
Just now, SliMat said:

There used to be a good app for manually moving shares on disks - I searched "move" but couldnt see it, can anyone remind me what its called?

Easiest thing is to use Dynamix File Manager plugin.  Might as well get used to it as it is going to be built into future Unraid releases.

OK, installed Dynamix File Manager plugin and have set this share to exclude all other disks (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and include disk 6... but in Dynamix File Manager there is only an option to move to target and then lists shares, not disks... I selected the same share hoping it would see that this is now set to disk 6 only and move the files... but it made no changes. Am I missing something... otherwise I will have to manually move the files in MC?

Just now, SliMat said:

OK, installed Dynamix File Manager plugin and have set this share to exclude all other disks (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and include disk 6... but in Dynamix File Manager there is only an option to move to target and then lists shares, not disks... I selected the same share hoping it would see that this is now set to disk 6 only and move the files... but it made no changes. Am I missing something... otherwise I will have to manually move the files in MC?

You can only run with drives OR shares - mixing them can lead to data loss.

click on the leftmost icon of a drive on the Main tab and that will show the contents of that drive.   It will allow you to move them to a different drive..

2 minutes ago, SliMat said:

If I close PC down will Dynamix File Manager plugin continue moving - or do I need to leave PC on and browser open?

Not sure but I think it does continue - someone else will probably chime in with the definitive answer.

• SliMat changed the title to Move share to single disk [SOLVED]