[SOLVED] Cache drive shows up as IDE / Slow writes

Writting to my cache drive is slower than I expected. I am averaging 27 - 32 MB/s utilizing about 20% of my Gb network. Before installing the Cache and Parity drives I was getting 50- 60 MB/s and utilizing about 50% of the network bandwidth. In doing a little investigating my motherboard has 6 sata ports, Cache and Parity are connected to ports 5 and 6, when I look at drive assignments in Unraid it shows Cache and Parity drives on IDE 3. I am not sure why those two ports show up that way but I am sure it probably has to do with chipset design.

Could these ports being reported as IDE be causing the slow writes to the cache drive?

Attached is a pic of drive assignments.

Edit to add: Drive is a green drive, same as the green drives I use for data that I was getting almost double the write performance to before.

ScreenShot154_Medium.jpg.bc9d05d925a9f1d79af829a32d98bfa9.jpg

Hi,

looking at the asus website it lists your motherboard as having 5 internal sata ports and 1 external, but maybe you have a new revision.

5 x SATA 3Gb/s ports (Use SATA1-3 for IDE mode.)

1 x External SATA (Does not support port multiplier)

as well as mentioning that 1-3 are for ide mode, i know that they definitely should not be showing as ide inside unraid, i'd check your bios settings first.

BIOS Setup Tips

http://lime-technology.com/support/unraid-server-installation

just starting out using unraid myself so i might be wrong, i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to help you out.

@ dgaschk, If I set bios to AHCI The parity and cache drives are missing when the server boots

This make sense, the server probably sees them different now (i.e. not as IDE drives)

@ prostuff1, Not that I have been able to find.

it is there somewhere

Well I might not be able to check it until tomorrow now. I just installed a new Corsair CX600 Builder series power supply and it is DOA.

So much for UPGRADING my power supply. LOL

@ dgaschk, If I set bios to AHCI The parity and cache drives are missing when the server boots

This make sense, the server probably sees them different now (i.e. not as IDE drives)

Don't mean to highjack this topic but I have the same problem as the OP. Is it safe to change your BIOS to AHCI and then re-asign the drives back to there original positions from the web GUI?

Thanks in advance.

Don't mean to highjack this topic but I have the same problem as the OP. Is it safe to change your BIOS to AHCI and then re-asign the drives back to there original positions from the web GUI?

Thanks in advance.

Yes

Ok Power supply issue resolved, seems I forgot to split the 8 pin ATX aux power connector and connect the four pin power connector.

I set BIOS to AHCI again, and it seems I had to reassign the parity and cache like the poster above. When i reassign them the system dropped back to a 3 drive unregisterd system which scared the crap out of me! A quick reboot corrected that and I was able to reassing the parity and cache drives again.

I am heading off to work so I will have to wait till tomorrow to see if speeds have increased, I will post results either way.

Thanks for all of the help

John

Ok. I changed BIOS settings and here is a screenshot of the Devices page. Disk four is on an AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA card. Motherboard is a Biostar A760G M2+. Is this ok, or should I still be concerned about Disk 4 - IDE?

Disk%20Settings.png

there is another BIOS setting you've not set... It is emulating an IDE drive for older Microsoft OS.

(Earlier MS OS had no SATA drivers, so would not be able to be installed if an IDE drive was not present, so the BIOS emulates one.  Often the emulation is slow, so you really don't want to use it if you can select the correct BIOS option.)

The "TYPE" screen from the bottom screen shot is where you select IDE/SATA, you might want to change it if it is on auto and not selecting correctly. Maybe you might want to manually select SATA from AUTO for all drives.

Actually it might be in SATA device 4 in the top screen shot also, hard to say for sure without being able to click into it.

ScreenShot155_Large.jpg.22a7dcb23a9336c8c0f192006e118003.jpg

The "TYPE" screen from the bottom screen shot is where you select IDE/SATA, you might want to change it if it is on auto and not selecting correctly. Maybe you might want to manually select SATA from AUTO for all drives.

Actually it might be in SATA device 4 in the top screen shot also, hard to say for sure without being able to click into it.

OK. I figured it out. I didn't change the BIOS settings correctly the first time. The BIOS changes that worked for me were:

Chipset > Southbridge Configuration > On Chip SATA Type > AHCI.

Thanks for the guidance.

Archived