No longer able to send notifications to gmail.

Go to solution Solved by hamish_18,

Starting two nights ago around 2am, I am no longer able to receive email from my unraid server. I get this error:
Mar 12 07:39:16 haymak3runraid ool www[13892]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/notify 'smtp-init'
Mar 12 07:39:18 haymak3runraid sSMTP[14113]: Creating SSL connection to host
Mar 12 07:39:18 haymak3runraid sSMTP[14113]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
Mar 12 07:39:18 haymak3runraid sSMTP[14113]: Server didn't like our AUTH LOGIN (503 AUTH command used when not advertised)

Checking my settings, nothing has changed, and mirror's other's from here. I also changed my app password to see if maybe that expired somehow?(It shouldn't have).. But that made no difference. I can't find anything other than this:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/81126?visit_id=638458505878602168-168114250&rd=1#zippy=%2Crequirements-for-all-senders

do you all think this is related? What are we to do, to start receiving emails again from unraid. Most likely this is impacting other services too.

I started a community thread over on google, but don't have my hopes up very high that this will help anything. But one person stated that unraid will need to use oauth now? 

27 minutes ago, hamish_18 said:

I have shitty comcast, and I don't think they allow this.

If they allow you to use an E-mail program beside a Website type, you should be able to get Unraid to work.  OF course, they may make it very difficult to find the proper settings and Web addresses but a determined search using Google should eventually find them! 

7 hours ago, hamish_18 said:

I'd REALLY like to get notifications from my server again.

Interesting that GMail with the app password is no longer working for you.  I continue to get Unraid notifications using a GMail account and app password.  I have not changed anything at all since GMail started requiring the app password and nothing appears to have "expired."

All I am saying is that your issue, whatever it is, does not appear to be a universal problem with GMail app passwords.  I realize this does not help you solve the problem.

• Confused 1
Posted (edited)

That is super strange! I never changed anything either, and then all of a sudden, I noticed in my logs that I was getting those errors when trying to send an email. What version of unraid are you guys running? I am on 6.12.6

Just to re-iterate, this is what I get in my logs when I try to send a test email now:
Mar 22 07:39:31 haymak3runraid ool www[333]: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/notify 'smtp-init'
Mar 22 07:39:33 haymak3runraid sSMTP[1959]: Creating SSL connection to host
Mar 22 07:39:33 haymak3runraid sSMTP[1959]: SSL connection using ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
Mar 22 07:39:33 haymak3runraid sSMTP[1959]: Server didn't like our AUTH LOGIN (503 AUTH command used when not advertised)

My settings are in fact just like Amane's.

I just don't get how google doesn't like this anymore. 

Edited by hamish_18
  • Solution

Ok. I just figured it out /sigh. I haven't touched these settings in years, but my firewall's smtp protection is causing it? This ticket can be closed. I added my unraid IP to skip the SMTP proxy from looking at data from it. That was a new one. :(