Parity Check

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

One of my server's which has parity check before, with no errors, Last night I kick off a parity check last night with 0 sync errors reported. But the GUI reported smart error on the parity drive showing 6103 errors. I ran Fix Common Problems plugin for logs, but did report any problems. I stopped the array and ran smart-test report on the parity drive and it passed. I have seen sync errors the data drives in the past and if the number increases I would just replace the drive. I never seen errors on the parity. When restarted the array 6103 errors zeroed. Since error number never increase in the last 5 hours of the parity check could this point to a drive in the array going bad or just the parity drive going bad and needs to be replaced. If someone could provide next steps to keep my data safe

Thanks

SV

lego90-smart-20240319-1011.zip

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   100   100   005    -    169
196 Reallocated_Event_Count -O--CK   100   100   000    -    169

These are never a good sign.   If the number remains stable then you are probably OK, but if it keeps increasing then the drive will need replacing.

A couple questions: It did pass the full smart-test and the parity check completed with zero errors, so does that show data on the array is good and not corrupt? Would there be any benefit to run another parity check tonight with write corrections to parity unchecked? Also the dashboard is still showing the parity drive unhealthy. I will order another parity drive to have on hand, I have stop Plex and moved Emby to another server. This is only running a VM, so that I can hold off until next month. Once I get the new parity drive, would running Dynamix File Integrity, show any file corruption on the disks before writing the data to a new parity drive. If I remember you have check a box, saying something about knowing the data is good in order to replace a parity drive...

Thanks again for the help and any advice, you have so that I don't pass on corruption to the new drive....

SV

• Solution
26 minutes ago, svargas said:

dashboard is still showing the parity drive unhealthy

Click on the SMART ( 👎 ) warning to acknowledge, and it will warn again if it increases.

Parity contains none of your data, so can't corrupt a data disk unless you use it to rebuild one of them.