Issues connecting to the WEBUI + Server not connecting to internet

Go to solution Solved by ljm42,

So today I was unable to connect to the server and after a few unsuccessful reboots I realized that I can access the GUI by directly plugging in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. After I noticed that nginx was in some sort of boot cycle. I tryed to change the Port and to no avail. I kept getting an error that the port is being used when trying to switch back to port 80. I then ran a command to restart nginx and it then allowed me to switch back to port 80, but I'm still unable to connect to the WebGUI on my laptop. Also the server does not seem to be connecting directly to the internet. No ability to update apps, no internet facing apps are functioning. 

Attached are the diagnostics. After a few hours of deleting network config files and restarting nothing seems to be correcting the issue. Any advice?

themothership-diagnostics-20240321-1721.zip

Tried changing both port 80 -> 85 and port 443 -> 1443. Still not working. I also uninstalled Tailscale as others have said this was causing the issue, but after an uninstall and reboot still the same issue. When looking at the system log in real time it shows this error loop repeatedly "Mar 22 09:27:32 TheMothership dhcpcd[1395]: br0: 10 second defence failed for 10.1.10.81". You can see this loop in DHCPlog.txt. It seems like any port I switch to there seems to be something on the back end using the same port. Im stumped... Most recent diagnostics attached.

themothership-diagnostics-20240322-0927.zip

This line:

Mar 22 09:25:44 [1394]: br0: 7a:8c:b5:08:ef:51(7a:8c:b5:08:ef:51) claims 10.1.10.81

means the NIC with MAC address 7a:8c:b5:08:ef:51 is already using 10.1.10.81 so it can't be assigned to the server.

These log messages are the only time it is mentioned in the diagnostics, so there is no clue where to look.  It might possibly be a different computer on the network, or it might be a virtual nic on the server maybe somehow left over from tailscale? Or maybe an issue with a custom Docker network?

Does your router give any hints as to where 7a:8c:b5:08:ef:51 is? If you turn off your server does that nic also go offline in your router?

While you are working on this I'd recommend editing config/disk.ini on the flash drive and setting startArray to "no". This will prevent the array from starting so there is no risk of an unclean shutdown if you need to reboot.

My only other suggestion at the moment is to try booting in safe mode to rule out plugins.

27 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Does your router give any hints as to where 7a:8c:b5:08:ef:51 is? If you turn off your server does that nic also go offline in your router?

Ok, that MAC address is associated with another piece of hardware on the network that is connected via the ethernet port of a WIFI extender. The IP address for the hardware is 10.1.10.82 though. 

• Solution

Excellent. I'd suggest turning that other piece of hardware off and then see if Unraid can boot and get an IP.  If so, you'll want to dig into the config of that other system and figure out why it is claiming 10.1.10.81 when you have it set to use 10.1.10.82

Ok, for anyone referring to this post for help. Turns out the WIFI extender was causing a myriad of issues, it seemed to be listening on all ports. I unplugged it and all seems to be working as it should. Oddly enough, this wasn't an issue in the past. I'm not sure what has changed, but I may need to find another solution to extending the wifi on my property.

Thanks to the Mods and Admins for the help. 

• Like 1