Some processes are keeping writing to my first disk (Pure SSD Array + ZFS)

Hello,

I am using 3 SSDs for my Array with ZFS as filesystem, I always notice there are a lot of write requests to my first disk, I used to use `iotop` to find which process is writing to it, but it turns out to be `shfs`, that's hard to identify the real source?

Recently I've noticed that the data units written would soon exceed the SSD's warranty (229/1500 TBW), and the written data is larger than disk2 and disk3 even it stores less data, so it's kinda weired.

Is something wrong with ZFS or other setups? Could you please give some suggestions on this? Thanks a lot.
61657411_.thumb.png.971da8e2054102cb32b429ec01c67a61.png
1828184574_.png.7e610d12bc86bf954982c69f290a0592.png
412461159_.png.b14b02f1f6d7daf0379469046b3a8097.png
336455432_.png.1009925b88387294b6527a7185592a1f.png

back in unraid 6.8.3 i had a similar issue. Docker was running from a btrfs pool. Writes on the pool killed my ssds in 8 months.

I managed to lower writes by

- using directory for docker instead of image

- use a single xfs pool

- add --no-healthcheck as extra parameters for most of my containers

- and use a ram disk for dockers logs. This one is great thanks to @mguttlink to the topic

Besides of this i also bought longer life ssds. Depending of my activity i have around 50 running containers.

On 3/26/2024 at 4:34 AM, itimpi said:

Disk1 appears to be where you have your 'system' and 'appdata' shares located and these will be used any time you have the docker subsystem or docker containers running which will be why you get lots of writes to that disk.

Thanks! So I guess I need to use a durable SSD for disk1 or migrate docker files to another disk

On 3/26/2024 at 5:12 PM, caplam said:

back in unraid 6.8.3 i had a similar issue. Docker was running from a btrfs pool. Writes on the pool killed my ssds in 8 months.

I managed to lower writes by

- using directory for docker instead of image

- use a single xfs pool

- add --no-healthcheck as extra parameters for most of my containers

- and use a ram disk for dockers logs. This one is great thanks to @mguttlink to the topic

Besides of this i also bought longer life ssds. Depending of my activity i have around 50 running containers.

Wow, thanks for providing so much detail! I will try these! Thanks a lot!