Another Noob Question

Go to solution Solved by peterbata,

Hello UR Family. I am new to UR. I guess that I am going to preface my posts with that for a little while. I am coming from ESXi and Proxmox before that.

These are going to be very noob-like questions so please bear with me. A little something about my setup.

PC = HP Z820 / 256G Ram / Dual Xeon E5-2680 v2 2.8Ghz / NVIDIA K5000 4G

Disks = 2x HGST 8TB SAS / 2x HGST SATA 8TB - All drives inserted into the PC's drive cage using the Integrated LSI SAS 2308 Controller with RAID 0/1/1E/10

1) Should I create an array of any type in the controller's array utility or leave all drives as is

2) How would you folks recommend I setup said drives in Unraid

Your time and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Peter

Edited by peterbata
  • Solution
Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 5:11 PM, JonathanM said:

The controller needs to be in IT mode so Unraid can manage the individual drives with no intervention. If you don't, you can run into very real problems moving drives to different ports or controllers.

Thank you for your response. The Adaptec controller is in HBA mode. This is set via the array config utility (Ctrl-A). Which is one of the main reasons that I chose it.

Edited by peterbata
Adde text
23 minutes ago, peterbata said:

The Adaptec controller is in HBA mode.

On 3/26/2024 at 2:24 PM, peterbata said:

Integrated LSI SAS 2308 Controller with RAID 0/1/1E/10

I'm confused. Which is it?

LSI controllers AFAIK have either IT mode, where no hardware RAID is possible, or IR mode, where there are different RAID modes exposed, including a pseudo HBA. In order to work seamlessly, they need to have IT firmware flashed.

I seem to remember Adaptec cards having their own issues, like randomly deciding to default back to RAID mode and writing extraneous stuff to the drives.

@JorgeB is more familiar with the nuances of the different cards,

I believe if you post diagnostics here we can tell which card, and even more important, which driver and firmware you are dealing with.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, JonathanM said:

I'm confused. Which is it?

LSI controllers AFAIK have either IT mode, where no hardware RAID is possible, or IR mode, where there are different RAID modes exposed, including a pseudo HBA. In order to work seamlessly, they need to have IT firmware flashed.

I seem to remember Adaptec cards having their own issues, like randomly deciding to default back to RAID mode and writing extraneous stuff to the drives.

@JorgeB is more familiar with the nuances of the different cards,

I believe if you post diagnostics here we can tell which card, and even more important, which driver and firmware you are dealing with.

The LSI-2308 (onboard)  is disabled as I am unable to put it into HBA mode. This is why I purchased the Adaptec ASR-71605. Sorry for not having mentioned that. Issues? Well, hopefully I won't have to find out. Thanks for getting back to me.

Edited by peterbata