Temporarily suspend spin down for extended SMART test

In order to run an extended SMART test, disk spin down must be disabled. Makes sense since I've tried it in the past (on a 5.x version, maybe?) and could never get the test to run to completion.

It would be very handy to have an option for "Temporarily disable spin down for 'X' hours", where 'X' could be in a drop down, or could be a free-form numeric entry with a drop down for [Minutes|Hours|Days]. I could disable spin down for 24 hours to run a SMART test, then rest assured that it will reenable and all my disks will go back to sleep when not needed, eliminating the confusion on why they're always up...

Even better would be for the OS to be able to detect that an extended SMART test is running on a disk and simply not spin it down, but I haven't a clue if that's possible or not.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, FreeMan said:

Even better would be for the OS to be able to detect that an extended SMART test is running on a disk and simply not spin it down, but I haven't a clue if that's possible or not.

That would be a simpler and a more elegant solution for the users' point of view.