Unraid - Multi-User

Hello Everyone,

I'm using Unraid since a while now (about 5y), I wondered if it's planned to have multi-user someday.
Since it's linux based, I found this lack always a little bit strange and annoying.

Logging with ROOT normally is only when you have to do "special" tasks - not daily business.

Will it implemented someday? 🙂

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 12:27 AM, ljm42 said:

Think of Unraid as an appliance, not a general purpose operating system. If you need a place to perform "daily business" the recommendation would be to run a different OS in a VM.

Think that - it's NEVER EVER, a good idea, that your only account is root.

It should never be.

Since this is based on Linux - it should give the chance to use another user other than ROOT.

Or write down: It's something for your funny Homelab.

From my point of view, this thing is nothing than secure if the only user than is be able to do "thing" is root.

Never heard of ACL's?

Edited by TDA

You CAN have users other than root for file access purposes (and Unraid users ACLs as part of managing that).  Unraid is after all primarily a NAS.   What you cannot have is other users who are able to execute login to the Linux level to execute their own programs on Unraid.