unRAID 4.7 Time Machine support for Mountain Lion/Lion/Snow Leopard/Leopard

I have updated the install and upgrade scripts.  The updated timecapsule package includes new versions of netatalk, dbus, avahi, and berkeley db.

The updated netatalk (2.2.3) fixes a time machine bug that caused errors when mounting the backup image.

I have tested this by restoring Snow Leopard onto a machine that was recently upgraded to Mountain Lion.  I then restored back the Mountain Lion backup.  Note that I am using a disk share and not a user share, and a user login and not guest.

The tmupgrade script will upgrade an existing install the to the latest package.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am having an issue adding a second Mac. I can see the time capsule I set up but when I select it I am asked for the username and password. I have tried selecting guest, using guest as the username and no password, using root and the root password all to get a response that the username and password are incorrect.

I set it up a while ago and have been backing up my mac mini without issues. I tried the update but that didn't change things. I have a 3 disk basic setup with no users just root.

I used a share to store my backups.

What am I missing?

If I want to change to a disk instead of share is there a way to preserve the backup I already have from the mini?

Well I was trying to back up because I was going to upgrade to Snow Leopard. When I tried selecting guest I got a different message about permissions and something about checking permissions with get info. I decided to use my USB drive to back up to and then upgraded. After the upgrade I was able to select guest and back up to the server so I guess it was something to do with Leopard.

I attach the syslog anyway in case it helps, but I am running now so it's not that important anymore so if you don't have time don't worry about it.

syslog.txt

I thought this might be great to backup my MBP with Snow Leopard.

I've tried a few times to install this, all seems well until I get to the end.  It does say Instalation complete, but it's not working (ie not visable on to my MBP)

I'm using settings

location for TM backup /mnt/disk2/Backups/TM

user=none

set size limit =300 (only have a 250Gb mac drive)

Start daemon Y.

The error message I get is.

/usr/local/sbin/avahi-daemon: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/local/sbin/afpd: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

WARNING: Cannot copy afp_signature.conf to flash drive

WARNING: Cannot copy afp_voluuid.conf to flash drive

Any ideas where I can start looking?  I've reinstalled it a few times, and same problem.  I got a heap of http errors downloading the lib files on one install.  Seems libcap couldn't be found, but I restored it from a previous attempt.

EDIT:  I found libssp-1lk.tgz on the http://www.blueskyhorizon.com/unraid/ site and tried that.  I manually install using "installpkg /boot/packages/libssp-1lk.tgz"

Tried another install and now I only get "WARNING: Cannot copy afp_voluuid.conf to flash drive", but the Time Capsule is now visable via my Tower! :)

Is voluuid to do with setting the time capsule size?

I thought this might be great to backup my MBP with Snow Leopard.

I've tried a few times to install this, all seems well until I get to the end.  It does say Instalation complete, but it's not working (ie not visable on to my MBP)

I'm using settings

location for TM backup /mnt/disk2/Backups/TM

user=none

set size limit =300 (only have a 250Gb mac drive)

Start daemon Y.

The error message I get is.

/usr/local/sbin/avahi-daemon: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/local/sbin/afpd: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

WARNING: Cannot copy afp_signature.conf to flash drive

WARNING: Cannot copy afp_voluuid.conf to flash drive

Any ideas where I can start looking?  I've reinstalled it a few times, and same problem.  I got a heap of http errors downloading the lib files on one install.  Seems libcap couldn't be found, but I restored it from a previous attempt.

EDIT:  I found libssp-1lk.tgz on the http://www.blueskyhorizon.com/unraid/ site and tried that.  I manually install using "installpkg /boot/packages/libssp-1lk.tgz"

Tried another install and now I only get "WARNING: Cannot copy afp_voluuid.conf to flash drive", but the Time Capsule is now visable via my Tower! :)

Is voluuid to do with setting the time capsule size?

No, voluuid provides a unique identifier for the backup volume.

Those copy errors should only happen if you are out of space on your flash drive...

Those copy errors should only happen if you are out of space on your flash drive...

No.  I'm only using 8% of a 8Gb Flash Drive.

The afp_voluuid.conf files is definately not on my flash drive.  Time Machine is working though, and backing up.

If there anyway to manually copy this file?

Is that file even on your file system?  It would be in /usr/local/etc/netatalk

I'm trying to figure out why this is failing so badly for you.  Is the internet access from this machine flakey?

You should have the following files in /boot/packages:

libgpg-error-1.6-i486-3.tgz

libgcrypt-1.4.0-i486-2.tgz

libcap-2.14-i486-1.tgz

timecapsule-uR4.7-i486-6lk.tgz

libssp-1lk.tgz

The afp_voluuid.conf is not on my system.  In the netatalk folder there is afp_signature.conf afpd.conf and AppleVolumes.default and a folder called db.

All the files you listed are installed (I manually downloaded the ssp one).

Internet access is fine on my server as far as I can tell.  It downloaded the .sh files okay via putty and it syncs time online ok.  I did have issues with the downloads when I ran tminstall.sh, it downloaded one, then failed on the next, then when I started again it wouldn't download at all on further attempts.  The ssp one seemed to be a broken link.

I cheated and ran tmupgrade.sh which downloaded some of the missing packages, and I found the ssp one and manually installed that.

Hi elkay-

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but am having issues getting this to work.  When i run the installation, I am prompted for a y/n, I enter y and receive the following:

Package /boot/packages/libcap-2.14-i486-1.tgz does not exist on flash drive.  Attempting to download...

--2012-08-21 10:02:16--  http://slackware.mirrors.easynews.com/linux/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/n/libcap-2.14-i486-1.tgz

Resolving slackware.mirrors.easynews.com... 69.16.168.244

Connecting to slackware.mirrors.easynews.com|69.16.168.244|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found

2012-08-21 10:02:16 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Failed to download libcap-2.14-i486-1.tgz

It appears the file is not available?

... Note that I am using a disk share and not a user share, and a user login and not guest...

Thanks, elkay14 for this note. I have turned the unRAID setting "Share security" from "Simple" to "User level", create non-guest account, reinstall tminstall.sh and create new timemachine backup to disk share (/mnt/disk2/TM) using non-guest login. After that I have restored entire volume "Macintosh HD" successfully using same non-guest login. MacOS X 10.7.4, unRAID Plus.

• 4 weeks later...

So everything went as described installing, but I get nothing in the Time Machine list, no "Time Capsule".  How should I be connecting to the unRAID server on the Mac?  Do I use Go/Connect to Server.  Reboot of the unRAID server didn't help.  No errors in the logs.  Bit of a Mac noob here so any ideas?  I'm clearly missing something.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. As a new Mac owner myself but long time unRAID user, I'm happy to see that unRAID can handle this fairly easily.

That said, I am having an issue. Running the tminstall.sh script without rebooting works perfectly. The unRAID disk shows as a backup disk in Time Machine and I'm able to successfully backup. However, when I reboot unRAID, the disk no longer shows as available. The only way to get this working again is to clear out the GO file and run the tminstall.sh script again.

Any ideas on what I'm going wrong? I'm running unRAID 4.7 with no other ad . dons installed

Will this work with 5.0-rc5 or should I downgrade to 4.7?

Or maybe this is built in to 5.0-rc5 now and I don't need it?

The reason I am asking is because when I set up a user share and choose "time machine" under the AFP protocol and then turn off the other CIFS sharing, NFS, etc. and then tell time machine to use that volume, it will start backing up for a few minutes and then my Mac crashes.  :-\

So everything went as described installing, but I get nothing in the Time Machine list, no "Time Capsule".  How should I be connecting to the unRAID server on the Mac?  Do I use Go/Connect to Server.  Reboot of the unRAID server didn't help.  No errors in the logs.  Bit of a Mac noob here so any ideas?  I'm clearly missing something.

Post your syslog and output of 'ps aux'

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. As a new Mac owner myself but long time unRAID user, I'm happy to see that unRAID can handle this fairly easily.

That said, I am having an issue. Running the tminstall.sh script without rebooting works perfectly. The unRAID disk shows as a backup disk in Time Machine and I'm able to successfully backup. However, when I reboot unRAID, the disk no longer shows as available. The only way to get this working again is to clear out the GO file and run the tminstall.sh script again.

Any ideas on what I'm going wrong? I'm running unRAID 4.7 with no other ad . dons installed

Post your syslog and your go script.