Usb Flash Drive is corrupted

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hey guys,

today unraid started to show me the message, that my flash drive is corrupted or offline. Since its only 3? month old i am a little confused.

What would be the best steps to get it to work again? I thought about restarting but am afraid, if my server wont come back up again. 

Also my boot/config/ folder looks a little weired. (See screenshot)

Screenshot2024-05-17140520.thumb.png.c97eb1de030a63348ccc8b40c693a133.png

Any suggestions or tips, how to handle this?

Thanks.

homestation-diagnostics-20240517-1410.zip

May 17 14:01:36 HomeStation kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid start cluster (i_pos 0, start 80010000)
May 17 14:01:36 HomeStation kernel: FAT-fs (sdb1): Filesystem has been set read-only

Flash filesystem went read-only, you can try running chkdsk on it, or reformatting, if issues persist replace it.

In this case is the usb-stick still installed in the server and unraid still running. For that reason i would use

fsck -a /boot/

Sorry if i am asking many questions, i just want to be cautious.

Posted (edited)

No progress so far. fsck did not do its thing. 

So, you suggest turning the system off, getting the usb stick and trying it at my pc? Will i be able to turn the system back on again?

I turned it off, but chkdsk tells me that there is an unrecoverable error.

So... what to do now?

Edited by Angora
typo + next step
Posted (edited)

Thats what i figured until now, the more precise question is: how to recover all the settings etc? (i made a backup a while ago, but i can only access it via unraid -.-, since i need linux for it)

And how do i get unraid to acknowledge the new usb stick with the bought license?

Edited by Angora

Thanks already for your help.

I bought a new (sadly) SanDisk USB Stick, just to find out, that the usb creater does not like it. Yet i was able to install unraid manually. I copied my old config over, and replaced the kay. So far everything went okay, i guess.

I am still wondering how a 3 month? Old Usb-Stick can get this degraded within this time. 

Anyways, for now everything is up and running again. Hopefully for longer now than the last time.

Thanks guys, have a nice weekend.

21 hours ago, Angora said:

I am still wondering how a 3 month?

Most current flash drives are garbage, they are not made as they were in the past, but you can still find some good ones, personally I like the Sandisk Cruzer Blade 32GB, one of the few USB 2.0 flash drives still available, and in my experience then tend to be more reliable.