Passthrough disk as LUN to the VM

Hello,

I moved one of my VMs from Linux Mint and it was set up to passthrough the SSD from the host as LUN. Something like the screenshot below.

I could not find any option in the unRAID GUI to do so but editing the XML worked for me.

However when switching back to GUI for the particular VM, the disk disappeared.

Is this a limitation of the unRAID GUI ?

Thank you in advance.

passthrough-disk-as-LUN.png

9 hours ago, namvan said:

Hello,

I moved one of my VMs from Linux Mint and it was set up to passthrough the SSD from the host as LUN. Something like the screenshot below.

I could not find any option in the unRAID GUI to do so but editing the XML worked for me.

However when switching back to GUI for the particular VM, the disk disappeared.

Is this a limitation of the unRAID GUI ?

Thank you in advance.

passthrough-disk-as-LUN.png

why does device="disk" not work for you?

Hello SimonF,

It is not that it is not working for me. With device='disk' the VM sees the disk as HDD, not SSD and all information about the disk is lost. No temperature, nothing. With 'lun' the VM recognises it as SSD with correct brand and all info. And trim is also detected and supported.

3 hours ago, namvan said:

Hello SimonF,

It is not that it is not working for me. With device='disk' the VM sees the disk as HDD, not SSD and all information about the disk is lost. No temperature, nothing. With 'lun' the VM recognises it as SSD with correct brand and all info. And trim is also detected and supported.

Ok thanks, an options has been added to 6.13 to allow you to specify SSD. 

image.png

Which uses rotational_rate=1

The optional attribute rotation_rate sets the rotation rate of the storage for disks on a SCSI, IDE, or SATA bus. Values in the range 1025 to 65534 are used to indicate rotational media speed in revolutions per minute. A value of one is used to indicate solid state, or otherwise non-rotational, storage. These values are not required to match the values of the underlying host storage. Since 0.0.3; bus attribute since 0.4.3; tray attribute since 0.9.11; "usb" attribute value since after 0.4.4; "sata" attribute value since 0.9.7; "removable" attribute value since 1.1.3; "rotation_rate" attribute value since 7.3.0