Same folders and files on different disks

I added a new disk and then started moving some files between disks in order to balance out some space but I noticed that I had some disks with the same folders and files. I could even rename the folder one each disk and then look through shared mnt point that I had two lots of the same folder and files. I can't work out how this happened but could be due to copying data between mount points incorrectly? I didn't realise that could happen. Has anyone ever mentioned this before? 

Posted (edited)

example:
I have:
image.png.abe33353050fae9552a0827105492624.png

I make a share:
image.png.1d2a2a81ae45ed9569c8410a2e185f46.png

I use the share and add data.
Then add a drive and add secondary storage.

Now old data is on 1st drive and new data is on second drive.
You will need to move the files of the disk to the second drive..
^-Known as mover and a plugin to assist...

Otherwise, you are confused on what a FUSE OS file system is...
Unriad also uses fuse. You data is located under /mnt/user/%sharename

while it exist on disk
/mnt/vm-zfs/%sharename

That is not duplicate of data or existing on multiple disk. Look into symbolic links...

Edited by bmartino1

My share setting is that I have the same folder over all the disks at specific levels. The point is that I copied the same file to the same path on a different disk and i didn't realise but yet through the shared mnt point it didn't show any different. I was using twice the space but didn't realise.  My fault for copying by mistake. If the same file can exist on multiple disks what happens if it is a writable file that changes over time?

2 minutes ago, SimonAG said:

If the same file can exist on multiple disks what happens if it is a writable file that changes over time?

The file on the first disk will be shown and editable in the share, the later disks files will be invisible in the share. If you delete the visible file on the share, the next file in line will appear, making it look like the file wasn't deleted.

I believe the share view disk priority is pools in alphabetical order followed by the array disks in numeric order.

You can really make some weird stuff happen that way.

22 minutes ago, SimonAG said:

If the same file can exist on multiple disks what happens if it is a writable file that changes over time?

You can get strange results as Unraid will always work on the first copy it sees at the User share level and hide the other one.   You need to correct this so there is only one copy of any file.

• Upvote 1