Roku 2 XS ($80) vs. Logitech Revue ($80) vs. WDTV Live ($99-130)

krackato

Actually I've been thinking more about it...

The Roku might still be the better choice as it is more likely to get additional free channels than WD.

For instance I imagine some TV networks that stream shows might eventually setup channels on Roku.  I'd love a TV Land channel for instance.  :)

Have you read anything about the new PopBox "3D" device and the new Popcorn Hour (A-300) device? Any opinion of those?  I like the Videowall method for choosing entertainment, only the larger, more expensive set tops do that any justice. I had almost determined that only Syabas equipped boxes would do what I want. I thought the Dune did that with aplomb?

Yadis is pretty good on Dune.

The only reason I'm looking for another box is those bozo'a at HDI promised Netflix support and never delivered.

So I'm looking for a simple Netflix only box to supplement my "king of all media players" Dune.  (Ok not really the king - but probably the king of the entry level ones)

WD TV Plus (I have this as well) cannot be hacked for the video interface and use the file names to view the movies/tv shows. This is fine, but Plex/XBMC is more sexy. WD TV can be hacked to have sab/sb/cp on it though I hear.

Good luck!

You can get moviesheets etc on the WDTV Live etc with Brad hack....here is one example -

The only reason I'm looking for another box is those bozo'a at HDI promised Netflix support and never delivered.

I feel compelled to explain that HDI has had the Netflix code written and waiting for over a year now.  The issue for them has been Netflix's reluctance to approve the Dune lineup.  Feel free to sign this online petition directed towards Netflix.  I doubt it will have any impact, and I'm just as irritated by the lack of movement on their part as you have shown in the MPC Club forums.

I feel compelled to explain that HDI has had the Netflix code written and waiting for over a year now. 

That is of course a rumor - but I'll accept it as fact.

The reason I use the word "bozo" is because a year and a half after I bought the damn thing - based partially on the Netflix promise...  The promise still remains on their website, with no actual likelihood of it ever coming true.

Other than that - I'm pretty happy with the product.

The reason I use the word "bozo" is because a year and a half after I bought the damn thing - based partially on the Netflix promise...  The promise still remains on their website, with no actual likelihood of it ever coming true.

I can't argue with that.  They really shouldn't have it advertised unless it is reality, and they should have taken it down when they realized it wasn't happening.

Just to add to all this...

PlayOn is on sale for 50% off; makes it $19.99/year or $49.99/lifetime.

PlayLater is also on sale.

I haven't used either one, but for the price I'm going to give it a go.  (wouldn't it be cool if it could be an unRAID plugin???  maybe it'll run in a virtual machine...)

FWIW, I've been using the Patriot Box Office for years now.  As has been mentioned, its user interface is -uh- rather weak.  I recently flashed it with MedeBO (Mede8er for PBO) - that's mostly sorta kinda better, but getting the video wall to show all the pretty graphics I want (wife acceptance factor...) has been rather painful.

Trying to use ThumbGen to create them - requires way too much how-to-use research, and the templates aren't quite right, a few odd restrictions, etc, etc.  Definitely not hands-off "just works"...

I should probably just go buy a Popcorn Hour, but budget is tight right now.

On the good side, the PBO plays everything I've thrown at it.  I found one MKV recently that it wouldn't play, but upgraded to latest firmware and it works now.  (both Patriot's version BETA_70R2 and MedeBO version MedeBO_V4.0.4_SHIZZL_MOD_3.2 play that file fine)

AlanJay - Do you think the Medebo reflash on PBO hardware is worth doing, now that you've seen the *magic*?  Also, I gotta ask...did you build the reflash "rescue" ghetto cable in case something went horribly wrong? Inquiring minds wanna know.

My PBO is getting a workout every night from hard drive(s)...addicted to Original Star Trek..boldly going where every geek goes, nightly :D