Reallocated sector count on new parity drive

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Just a normal preclear.

But in the end since it's the parity drive it's not changing much. If it fails during parity sync you're not losing anything, preclearing leaves you unprotected for the time it's done that you would save if you assigned it as parity straight away assuming it doesn't fail.

Edited by Kilrah
2 hours ago, lelejau said:

I have no clue of what the RMA may do to the hard drive to try to deny warranty for me, I don't know.

My experience from RMA a number of years ago, is that you request an RMA.  The maufacturer verified the serial number to make sure it was in the warranty period and issued the RMA.  As soon as the disk was received, the replacement drive was shipped-- sometimes the same day.  It happened so quickly that there is no way they tested the disk. 

Now realize the thinking of the manufacturer's PR dept.  The customer has had what he considers a hard disk failure.  He has probably lost some to all of the data on that disk.  (depending on the state of his backups.)  He is already pi$$ed off.  Plus, he has had to remove that HD from his computer, packaged it for shipment and shipped it.  His computer will probably be without a HD for one-to-two weeks.  Now, we are going to test the disk and tell him that we don't consider it defective!  What a PR disaster in the making!!!!

The other option is a RMA (under the almost standard 30 day no-questions policy) to the vendor.  Is he really going to hire an employee to test returns?  Does he want his own PR disaster?  No, he will put it on a skid (or in a big box) that will be returned to manufacturer for credit when full. 

Now to be sure, they probably keep records of their RMA's and if you appear to abusing the system, you may be 'flagged' for special attention.