(SOLVED) - Unable to Access Web GUI - 169 IP Assigned

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Have not set up an Unraid server before, but after getting the USB in and getting the IP address set up, I am unable to connect to the web GUI which by all means should have been the easy part

I believe it has something to do with the bootable USB

On version 6.12.10

DHCP enabled

UEFI boot allowed

Steps I took after the server was up to see if the issue persisted with each way of getting to the GUI

Tried using Ping Command returns with  [ 192.168.86.46 DH Unreachable ]

Tried connecting through 3 different browsers all telling me to check internet connection

Tried http://IP as well as http://servername no connection

Attached diagnostics folder to see what y'all think

thepalace-diagnostics-20240627-1042.zip

Only other reason I would see it not working would be because my router cannot give it a proper IP

image.png.64a3cda4ae40b0e40c54e400a21e3785.png

3 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

169 addresses aren't normally assigned, they are a fallback that the device uses as a last ditch effort to talk to anything that will listen.

https://www.whatismyip.com/169-254-ip-address/

Can you plug a different PC into the same cable the server is using to see if it gets an address that is valid on your network?

Connected the same cable to my PC to see if it would return a normal IP address, and it did. Don't understand fully why the server can't talk properly and get an actual IP.

• jperry30 changed the title to New to Unraid - Unable to Access Web GUI - 169 IP Assigned
  • Solution

Is the modem configured as a router? It may only be handing out a few IP's with valid addresses until it refuses any more assignments.

Maybe your WAP system has one or more of those routable IP's and is handing out the private 192.168.86.X addresses to the WAP connected clients.

Do your WAP's have multiple ethernet ports? Maybe try plugging an ethernet cable there?

1 minute ago, JonathanM said:

Is the modem configured as a router? It may only be handing out a few IP's with valid addresses until it refuses any more assignments.

Unsure, will get back on this one.

Maybe your WAP system has one or more of those routable IP's and is handing out the private 192.168.86.X addresses to the WAP connected clients.

Also Unsure, but a good possibility. The 192.168.86.x was my wi-fi connection, so I'm pretty sure that is what's handed out to each of the wireless devices in my household

Do your WAP's have multiple ethernet ports? Maybe try plugging an ethernet cable there?

The WAPs have single ethernet ports. Also would require I run more than 80ft of wire to connect to them

This is not a solution, but a check to possibly confirm what is going on.

Unplug all the devices except your laptop's ethernet and the server from the switch and modem. That means all your wifi connections will be dropped as well, so don't do this if you have devices that can't go without internet for the duration of the test. Power cycle your modem. Restart the server and your laptop. If it's what I suspect, when you do that the modem will hand out IP's to the laptop and server, and you can talk to the server with the IP that shows on the console just above the login prompt.

It's likely if the modem has multiple ports they may be set up specifically for the WAPs, so make a note of what plugged in where so you can put it back.

If it's like I think, then you may need to either get your own router, or get the ISP to program the modem to hand out private IP's to ethernet as well as the WAP's.

1 hour ago, JonathanM said:

moved server to different room closer to WAP and obtained valid IP (SOLUTION)

• jperry30 changed the title to (SOLVED) - Unable to Access Web GUI - 169 IP Assigned
1 minute ago, jperry30 said:

moved server to different room closer to WAP and obtained valid IP (SOLUTION)

This is not a solution, but a check to possibly confirm what is going on.

Unplug all the devices except your laptop's ethernet and the server from the switch and modem. That means all your wifi connections will be dropped as well, so don't do this if you have devices that can't go without internet for the duration of the test. Power cycle your modem. Restart the server and your laptop. If it's what I suspect, when you do that the modem will hand out IP's to the laptop and server, and you can talk to the server with the IP that shows on the console just above the login prompt.

It's likely if the modem has multiple ports they may be set up specifically for the WAPs, so make a note of what plugged in where so you can put it back.

If it's like I think, then you may need to either get your own router, or get the ISP to program the modem to hand out private IP's to ethernet as well as the WAP's.

forgot to add that this was also a possible solution, but preferred method would be to move rather than restart everything else.

Make sure Unraid has a firewall between it and the WAN.

If the IP Unraid has is a 192.168.X.X you are good, if it's a 47.209.X.X you need to fix that. Unraid isn't hardened against attacks, it needs an external firewall of some sort. Having a private IP with no ports forwarded is the safest, any ports opened need to be evaluated for risk based on the answering service.

You can definitely host internet facing applications on Unraid, that's common practice, just don't put the server in a DMZ.

Make sure Unraid has a firewall between it and the WAN.

If the IP Unraid has is a 192.168.X.X you are good, if it's a 47.209.X.X you need to fix that. Unraid isn't hardened against attacks, it needs an external firewall of some sort. Having a private IP with no ports forwarded is the safest, any ports opened need to be evaluated for risk based on the answering service.

You can definitely host internet facing applications on Unraid, that's common practice, just don't put the server in a DMZ.

Made sure all was good. IP is 192.168.X.X thank you for your help in getting my first server started.

Best regards, 

Perry