Intel vPro as iLO alternative ?

Hi!

I am currently running Unraid on a Microserver gen 10 plus, however the lack of pcie slots and QuickSync being disabled by HPE makes me want to upgrade despite how much I like the compact size of it.

In the unlikely even that I needed to do stuff to the server remotely, iLo has been really helpful as accessing the server is a bit of an effort (stored in the garage).

As title suggests, is anyone using Intel vPro as an alternative ? If so, are there any known non-server motherboards that work with vPro ? I'm struggling to find info on most consumer MOBO specs, even though the chipsets should support vPro as per Intel's website. Do I understand correctly that both MOBO and CPU have to support vPro for it to be fully functional ?

Thanks

Edited by RandomFactoid

no answer for your question but maybe an alternative - all the diy builds lacked ilo or ipmi - so i tried pikvm in the last days and .. damn .. runs out of the box seriously good :) i bought early last year a PiKVM v3 BliKVM for a raspberry that was laying around and finally tried it out as i had some freezes with the jellyfin bugged image weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used vPro on a few older generation Intel i5 processors with Intel motherboards and also HP EliteDesk 800 mini PCs.

Coupled with VNC Viewer Plus (paid for edition) and once configured so that it does not require local "approval" prompts - it's a decent out-of-band solution.

Although, I'm not sure about the latest version of vPro/AMT as Intel may have split it up into different feature sets.

Also, my use was just for home lab and also an office based "development" PC which was occasionally switched off due to building power issues. I connected via a VPN then powered it back in using VNC Viewer Plus.