Share shown as unprotected:

I have a share where I moved some files into from an unprotected drive, but they were not really moved but more like symbolic links.

When I tried to move them back from array to the unprotected SSD it still shows share as unprotected because it shows a folder from SSD still available for a few bytes.

When I browse the share and seach for the folder it doesn't show anymore but share is still unprotected.

image.thumb.png.0975c58d4731123d14f3767599f484c4.png

unraid-diagnostics-20240723-1938.zip

Its the Download folder I have on a SSD that's causing the trouble but it doesn't show up anymore when I browse the share.

Edited by Bjur

1 hour ago, Bjur said:

Its the Download folder I have on a SSD that's causing the trouble but it doesn't show up anymore when I browse the share.

A file from your Diagnostics in the 'Shares' folder shows this:

image.png.736ba0eb1ad961f45b31745c3366337d.png

This indicates that the share only exists on the cache drive.   (I am assuming that this is the 'Download' folder that you are talking about!)

Whether a file is moved from the cache to the array depends on these setting being set correct:

image.thumb.png.5706dba183d48b8b3de5269d0555e552.png

If there are any files of an array share that are on a cache drive/pool without redundancy, the share will always be shown as 'Unprotected".  

EDIT:  One more thing.  Linux is case sensitive.  'Downloads' and 'downloads' are two separate and unique Share/directory names on your server!

Edited by Frank1940
Posted (edited)

@Frank1940Thanks for the answer Frank.

I have a spare SSD which I created a separate pool for and called download (Unraid made it with capital D)

image.png.26d0b52e86bb7e4bc715b8c23779c113.png

In that SSD I created a share called downloads:

image.thumb.png.2d6e15b96f32d1991210dcfca59ec58b.png

When computing the other share serier i get Download to show up with 22 bytes which makes is unprotected.

I dont want that. I browsed the array share and didn't find Download in it.

image.thumb.png.0e98e2f44ecb77a34085c1961a94db56.png

How can I get the 22 bytes to dissapear. It must be a directory name or something.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Bjur
1 hour ago, Bjur said:

It must be a directory name or something.

There should be a folder/directory on the 'Download' pool device named   downloads    and that folder/directory will be empty.  That share will always be unprotected as long as it is on that disk and it (being empty) takes up 22 bytes.  If you set up a 'Secondary storage' destination to the array and run mover, that folder/directory (and all of its contents) will be moved off of the 'Primary storage' onto the array.  ( And the Download pool disk will empty.)  Since you have a Parity protected array that Share will then become protected.   

IF you click on this symbol  image.png.db492aa3ab5de3b4736710b601850158.png   on the MAIN tab in front of the Download pool Device, it will open up the Unraid file manager. 

@Frank1940: Hi Frank.

Yes I agree there are a folder in downloads on the SSD with two small/empty files in it.

But the problem is this SSD should have nothing to do with the array whatsoever which is was before and the array share was showing protected and the SSD was showing unprotected which was fine. Somehow eventhough I have browsed from the array shares arrow as you mentioned to the "download" location where the 22 bytes was supposed to be it doesnt show anything so Im not able to delete the 22 bytes and have it protected. How do I get it to show protected?

Seriously I don't understand this.

- I have now moved the SSD share to array with mover, still shows Download folder when I compute on the Array Share and shows unprotected.

- I have now deleted the SSD Download share completely, still shows Download folder when I compute on the Array Share and shows unprotected.

What is going on???

The Download share is not even there anymore...

8 minutes ago, Bjur said:

I have now moved the SSD share to array with mover, still shows Download folder when I compute on the Array Share and shows unprotected.

That means there's something still there, set the primary and secondary storage options correctly for the mover to move that data to where you want, enable mover logging, run the mover, and post new diags if it doesn't move everything.

Posted (edited)

I got it working. What I did was remove the share, remove the pool and start over again. Called the share another name and now it's showing correct. SSD unprotected and the other array share protected.

Followup question:

1. I have another share where I moved two small metadata libraries from cache SSD to share. The 2 libraries are not on cache SSD anymore, but I can't delete them no matter what I try. Have tried mc, doublecommander, CLI and Total Commander.

When I try and run a script where I change permissions on the share with the two libraries included it says: "cannot read directory xxx structure needs cleaning". How do I fix that so I can delete them. When I compute it shows the two libraries as cache.

2. With the new share it's called dls and maybe because it's on an SSD outside of the array it shows as /mnt/dls.

When I use the share with dockers,

- A) Should I use /mnt/dls

or

- B) /mnt/user/dls

as mountpath in configuration of dockers and when I move files manually from SSD share dls to array shares?

I want to be 100% sure to do it correctly, so I move it correctly.

Edited by Bjur