Hard Links. Am I doing this right?

I’m attempting to set up hard links for use with Plex and I’m currently transferring a library from a previous build  using Krusader. As I’m transferring the library from an external drive via USB, am I correct in assuming I first need to write these files to the cache, then move them to the array in order for the hard links to stick? Or is it possible to just transfer them directly to the array. The issue I’m having is my cache is only about 2 tb and the library is around 10tb. This means I need to keep an eye on it to make sure the cache doesn’t overflow. 

Am I doing this right?

sincerely, 

Guy who loves this stuff but has no idea what he’s doing.

Have you looked at the Support thread for the Plex Docker that you are using?  (You can find that Link to the Support thread by click on the icon for the Docker container and looking for 'Support' in the drop-down list.) 

By the way, Unraid uses hard links to all of its files that are stored on the array or in a pool.  (You actually have to jump through a number of hoops to use soft links and the procedure is not documented in the Manuals. or WIKI.

Edited by Frank1940
Second paragraph added.