My honest feedback about licensing

Go to solution Solved by tjb_altf4,

Let me start by saying that I love Unraid. I’ve been using it since I bought it, and I don’t see myself straying from it. However, if it wasn’t for the lifetime membership, I highly doubt I would have bought it. I know you have your reasons, and they’re 100% legitimate. I’m just saying I wouldn’t have made the purchase otherwise. I might have even bought another license down the road, but now I’m looking at alternatives like TrueNAS, XCP-NG, and Proxmox instead.

It’s the same reason I mainly use Plex over Jellyfin—I bought the lifetime license. Despite some of the bad decisions Plex is making, I’m overall okay with it. So I’m just saying that maybe there are other ways to monetize this platform, and those should be explored. Joining the subscription bandwagon is not the way, in my humble opinion.

Again, just my feedback. #loveUnraid

• Solution
2 hours ago, JustOverride said:

Let me start by saying that I love Unraid. I’ve been using it since I bought it, and I don’t see myself straying from it. However, if it wasn’t for the lifetime membership, I highly doubt I would have bought it. I know you have your reasons, and they’re 100% legitimate. I’m just saying I wouldn’t have made the purchase otherwise. I might have even bought another license down the road, but now I’m looking at alternatives like TrueNAS, XCP-NG, and Proxmox instead.

It’s the same reason I mainly use Plex over Jellyfin—I bought the lifetime license. Despite some of the bad decisions Plex is making, I’m overall okay with it. So I’m just saying that maybe there are other ways to monetize this platform, and those should be explored. Joining the subscription bandwagon is not the way, in my humble opinion.

Again, just my feedback. #loveUnraid

You mention a few times you prefer a lifetime licence option... Unraid still has a lifetime licence :)

Also, If you don't chose a lifetime licence option, nothing stops working in future when your sub expires, other than availability of Unraid OS updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Unraid has a lifetime license, price went up but probably because it’s an awesome Linux OS variant.  I got a deal at $129, but I’d happily pay $249 for another lifetime license if I needed it.  I believe in supporting software engineers, but primarily because I am one … we work our ass off and have to retain a huge knowledge base of technology.