Applications & Malware

Hello!,

I've been a happy camper for several years now running unRAID.

I have installed 5 to 8 apps as containers at any given time. I come to realize that those images from from outside of unRAID creator's control and applications connect everywhere in the internet. 

What's your take to be safe and not introduce Malware in your LAN with the installed apps?. I'm mostly concerned about payload deployed and connected to a Command and Control service in Internet.

Proxy is not widely supported and whitelisting can be a pain with the heavy use of third party servers and CDN.

It's basically the same with any application you install on any other operating system as well. Install from reputable sources and maintainers, and you'll likely never run into a major problem. Truth be told, containers likely are - by design - already much safer than any Windows machine connected to your server through SMB with read/write access or other random IoT device on your network.

^^^ this.  Containers are by definition "sandboxed" and only have rights to the files / services that you give to them.

That being said, things like common miner software executing are one of the checks of Fix Common Problems, and if there is ever any malware that is within Apps, that has been missed, then please PM me.

Plugins though are a different story and every update issued to them tends to be code reviewed looking for malware etc.  Additionally, Apps also has the ability (if enabled in its settings) to handle major stuff like alerting everyone who might have container "X" installed if "X" proves to be a big danger.