Logitech Media Server - updated plugin, now supports upgrades

Hi Alex,

I have replied to your PM and uploaded my LMS plugin to github in my sig.  When I have time, I will review the plugin as the main reason for not wanting to maintain it is that ideally I'd want to rewrite it so that it keeps a consistent look and feel and code base with my other plugins.

@ rich.p & alxscott, could you save me a little Google time and provide a link to the new LMS 7.8 version and/or somewhere with ongoing discussion of the community supported version.

Thanks,

overbyrn

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pleasure mate :)

There seems to be a lot of chatter on this forum about LMS 8 :

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?27-Logitech-Media-Server

And here is the github with the latest public 7.8 release :

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver

Hope that helps, and thanks for deciding to look at LMS again... For me its ideal for cheap all around the house music streaming!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Since Overbyrn so kindly said he 'might' continue to update/maintain the squeezeserver plugin and since I'm clearly don't have the time, I have updated my initial post to recommend and link to his version of the plugin.  Overbyrns version supports updates via unraid webpage config which is really cool. Thank you for that Overbyrn, I greatly appreciate that a newer LMS version can be installed without messing with the plugin.

I also went out on a limp and updated the unRAID plugin page http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Plugins, so that new users can find the good stuff, and to avoid fragmentation. Let me know if you think it is wrong to change unRAID plugin wiki page to link here.

All the best, Alex

Ok, so I had some free time yesterday to look at my version of the Logitech Media Server plugin.  I've made some changes (mainly under the hood stuff to bring in line with the look and feel and back-end code of my other plugins).  Also, I've tinkered with the stable/nightly setting so that it now finds and offers the latest 7.8 community supported version of LMS when running as 'nightly' branch.

The plugin now also includes the option to update itself, making it easier for me distribute later versions of the plugin for bug fixes, enhancements etc.

As the current version of my plugin does not offer an update function, anyone wanting to try this new version will have to download manually the latest version of the plugin from my GitHub (see sig).

I have done some brief testing on a dev system.  Using a fresh UnRAID rc16c build, I have been able to install the plugin and select for it to install the stable version.  I then was able to stop LMS from the plugin, switch to nightly and it downloaded the latest (v7.8.0 revision 1374040504) copy of community supported version and start up correctly.  On both occasions I was able to access the LMS web gui and go to Information page to verify the version in use.

Please feel free to give it a try and feedback any issues found.  (I have considered starting a new thread for my LMS plugin, but not sure at this time if that would just complicate things too much)

Regards,

overbyrn

Ok, so I had some free time yesterday to look at my version of the Logitech Media Server plugin.  I've made some changes (mainly under the hood stuff to bring in line with the look and feel and back-end code of my other plugins).  Also, I've tinkered with the stable/nightly setting so that it now finds and offers the latest 7.8 community supported version of LMS when running as 'nightly' branch.

The plugin now also includes the option to update itself, making it easier for me distribute later versions of the plugin for bug fixes, enhancements etc.

As the current version of my plugin does not offer an update function, anyone wanting to try this new version will have to download manually the latest version of the plugin from my GitHub (see sig).

I have done some brief testing on a dev system.  Using a fresh UnRAID rc16c build, I have been able to install the plugin and select for it to install the stable version.  I then was able to stop LMS from the plugin, switch to nightly and it downloaded the latest (v7.8.0 revision 1374040504) copy of community supported version and start up correctly.  On both occasions I was able to access the LMS web gui and go to Information page to verify the version in use.

Please feel free to give it a try and feedback any issues found.  (I have considered starting a new thread for my LMS plugin, but not sure at this time if that would just complicate things too much)

Regards,

overbyrn

Cheers for that mate! I'll' give it a go when I get home and let you know how it goes!!

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Overbyrn,

Thanks very much for these plugins - I use this and the dropbox plugin every day.

I re-installed the dropbox plugin yesterday as it wasn't working - all fine. Saw that there was a new version of the LMS plugin and went for it (using the lms 1.4 plugin from earlier in the thread)

All installed fine - I installed LMS to the same directories as the previous plugin - /mnt/cache/.lms

All fine so far. Installed and retained my old settings, trackstat, libraries and the rest.

However, it seems to have crashed yesterday - here's the output of my syslog:-

http://pastebin.com/d3TNRAub

Plugin reports it is still running in the webgui. Restart doesn't achieve anything.

I wonder if you could point me in the right direction? Reasonably sure I have some backups (trackstat backups, old plugin versions) on my array but a touch worried about my LMS data!

Kind Regards,

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Your log seems to show a lot of repeated out of memory errors, especially where Logitech slimserver.pl process is concerned.  I'm no expert, but looks like your system invoked the out of memory (OOM) function to try and free up memory and as a result killed the slimserver.pl process.  If you've not done so already and if you're in a position to do so, I'd probably suggest a reboot just to give your system a chance to reload everything cleanly.  Out of interest, what other non-unRAID things do you run and how much memory does your system have?  Have you hit out of memory errors before?

As for advise on what to do next for this plugin, I'd probably check for the existence of /var/run/lms.pid and if this file is found, remove it.  That'll probably be the source of why the plugin thinks LMS is running when it's not.

Check your running process list to verify if LMS is running;

ps -ef | grep -v grep | grep slimserver.pl

Or issue;

pkill slimserver.pl

to indiscriminately kill any rogue LMS process that might still be running.

These things together might be all that's required to get LMS running again and you can try prior to a reboot.  Check your log after for any signs of OOM killer being invoked.

Regards,

overbyrn

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Unfortunately, a reboot seemed to cause similar problems. Here's another log paste:-

http://pastebin.com/YGemRx2N

As an aside, a reboot removed all files from my dropbox folder. I was able to restore from the web client.

I'm running:-

HP Proliant N40L Turion II

2 GB RAM

Plugins I usually run:-

SAB/Sick/Couch/Transmission (unplugged)

LMS

Dropbox

Crashplan/Crashplan GUI

Never had OOM occur before yesterday - recent changes are the dropbox/lms plugins.

On the other hand I also recently invoked crashplan to back up my new mac for the first time - could possibly be causing the server to run out of RAM? I have previously used the same setup to back up my old win7 laptop without issue.

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Regards.

Hmm, so now in addition to repeated OOM errors, you have some kind of corruption with the lms_overbyrn.plg file, as evidenced by:

Aug  5 12:30:49 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /boot/config/plugins/lms_overbyrn.plg:1387: parser error : Entity 'nbsp' not defined in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13 (Errors)

in your log.  Suggest you blow that away, get a new version from github page.  Or: https://github.com/overbyrn/UnRAID/raw/master/lms_overbyrn.plg.  How are you saving it?  Watch out for unwanted browser file mangling when saving and/or Windows to Linux end of line conversion.

You appear to have out of memory issues:

Aug  5 12:44:29 Tower kernel: dropbox invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x280da, order=0, oom_adj=0, oom_score_adj=0

Strongly suggest you remove all non-core unRAID items such as plugins and non-standard lines in your go file.  Start with just LMS plugin (or Dropbox), reboot and observe status.  Look for further signs of OOM messages in your log.

<facepalm>

I'm going to post this here for reference. Basically, I'd renamed my old LMS/Dropbox plugins OLDDropbox_overbyrn.plg rather than Dropbox_overbyrn.plg.old. Think this was the root cause of my issues.

Move along, nothing to see here!

• 1 month later...

I have a general question about using LMS and unRAID. If my music and data is on the unraid machine, but I want another machine to do the playback, using my android device as a remote is that possible?

Not sure if that makes sense, but essentially I want a "playback" machine that sits in a closet and sends the audio out. I'm not super familiar with LMS, so I figured I would ask the experts before spending a bunch of time trying to configure it.

I have a general question about using LMS and unRAID. If my music and data is on the unraid machine, but I want another machine to do the playback, using my android device as a remote is that possible?

Not sure if that makes sense, but essentially I want a "playback" machine that sits in a closet and sends the audio out. I'm not super familiar with LMS, so I figured I would ask the experts before spending a bunch of time trying to configure it.

LMS is designed to stream music to either a software or hardware receiver.  LMS itself does not play the music (although I suspect with the correct plugin it could).  If I read your requirements correctly, your 'playback' machine will be the receiver, I assume hooked up to a set of speakers?  If so, you'll be needing one of the software players such as SqueezePlay, Softsqueeze or SqueezeSlave.  Then you should have no trouble seeing and controlling this app from your Android device.

Is your playback machine doing anything else?  If not, then why not try to pick up an old Squeezebox Receiver rather than use a full blown PC. 

Basically, yes you can do what you want.  You just need to decide what is the best route to get you there.

LMS is designed to stream music to either a software or hardware receiver.  LMS itself does not play the music (although I suspect with the correct plugin it could).  If I read your requirements correctly, your 'playback' machine will be the receiver, I assume hooked up to a set of speakers?  If so, you'll be needing one of the software players such as SqueezePlay, Softsqueeze or SqueezeSlave.  Then you should have no trouble seeing and controlling this app from your Android device.

Is your playback machine doing anything else?  If not, then why not try to pick up an old Squeezebox Receiver rather than use a full blown PC. 

Basically, yes you can do what you want.  You just need to decide what is the best route to get you there.

Thanks.. the way you explained makes it seem very possible. This other computer is my main HTPC that is always on serving WMC/Plex to my TV's. My next challenge is figuring out if I can have different audio on line out vs HDMI (to TV).

• 3 weeks later...

I have LMS properly setup with a Squezebox Touch, using overbyrn's plugin!

It seems, though, that LMS doesn't let the disk with the music to spin down. Any ideas?

LMS doesn't present this problem for me.  My music is spread over a couple of array disks and they're almost always in a spun down state.  I don't do anything special with LMS.  Just run the main LMS application plus the 3rd party spotify plugin.  Could it be that something else is causing your music disk to remain spinning?  How are you verifying that LMS is the cause?

Have you used the lsof command to find out what processes have open handles to your files?

/usr/bin/lsof /dev/md* /mnt/cache

Thank for the quick response!

"FIND" command appears to be running, but I have no idea why...

COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF   NODE NAME
find    10760 root  cwd    DIR    9,3     3320 104684 /mnt/disk3/........ {different folder and PID everytime I run the lsof command}

When the preclearing of a new disk finishes, I'm going to restart Unraid and see if the problem persists.

edit:

This is the command running

find /mnt/disk3/Photos -noleaf

I know it's probably off topic, but how do I stop it?

This is the command running

find /mnt/disk3/Photos -noleaf

I know it's probably off topic, but how do I stop it?

Are you running cache_dirs script - either via SimpleFeatures or directly from someplace like your go file? 

That find -noleaf command sounds like it could be a sub-process of cache_dirs as it intermittently trawls through your disks keeping entries in the cache. 

I can't remember where in SimpleFeatures you disable it as I've always run it from my go script.  You can stop it from command line by typing "cache_dirs -q".  Of course, that implies you're at command line in the same directory as the cache_dirs script.  If not, you'll have to find it I'm afraid.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Overbuyrn, i'm using your up to date plugin for LMS

Wheres that thread by the way?

Having an issue..

Installed perfectly, working perfectly except... when i reboot.. the plugin is gone on the settings page of unraid.. so i have to reinstall although it said data would persist on reboot.

If i check, files are still there.. it just doesnt show on unraid settings page, nor does it start..

Can you help please?